Hey Fellas,

I am writing this because I need to tell someone,and I knew you all could relate.I would have sent it Fri. but I couldn't get logged on to the site.Thanks Bob for the help.Fri. A.M. I took a friend to a ranch I used to work on to do a little calling.I new this place hadn't been called all year,or even the past couple of years.There was a good little spot to set up on the south end were you could make a set,and then my buddy could be off to work.It had been raining for two days nonstop.I mean RAINING.This was the first dry morning and I figured the 'yotes would be traveling.As we walked in,we started to see skunks everywhere.I told my friend to not pay much attention to them.We sat under a very large oak.I remember thinking,'this is probably the most perfect set'.My friend was sitting on theN.W. side,I was on theS.E.side.The wind was out of the west,the sun coming up in the east(it does that around here).We had several draws to the west to call out of;and we could see 360 deg around us.We waited a few minutes, and I started with a few locate howls.About that time my friend loudly wispers"that skunk is coming this way".I told him to hush.He wispered back,"he is still coming",then I heard a bunch of scrammbling noise and heard him get up.I leaned over on all fours and peered around to my left.There he was,not 2 feet away,a skunk in a dead run toward me.I jumped up and watched himm disappear into a hole my friend had been sitting on.Well, I figured the hunt was over,because we had been dancing around like a bunch of girls at their first saturday night dance.I told my friend to move over next to a fence about 20yrds away,and sit next to some brush.I sat back down on the same side were I had been sitting,and after a few minutes went back to calling.About the time I figured we had been 'skunked'(sorry),A pair came over a rise 200yrds to the S.W.My heart got to going ,when here comes two more.Now I had four coming in,it couldn't get any better.Then it did.#5 and #6 finished out the parade.Well I hit my squeeker a few times to get the attention of my friend,who I could not see.Those 6 coyotes loped right to me.I could not move.One was 20 steps past my feet,with another just 10 yrds to my left.The other 4 stayed back 40 yrds or so.I waited and waited for my friend to shoot.He never did.Finally the coyotes closest to me started toget nervous,so I pulled my gun up and fired at the coyote directly in front of me.He cartwheeled and I took a running shot at on heading into some brush.I missed:(.My friend had also missed the one closest to me when he took off).I stepped off the distance to the one I killed,23 steps.The one to my left had been 11 steps.My friend then told me that he had seen them come over the hill too,but didn't shoot cause he thought I was trying to get them even closer!I then informed him that I was not that bad of a shot,and next time anything within 100yrds is ideal.Even though we only killed one of the six,it was the most coyotes I have ever called in at one time,let alone the closest.It was the most exciting time I have ever had calling coyotes;and I will always remember the first time I had six:)

I was also wanting to ask for an inexpensive digital camara recomendation.I would like to start posting some pics.And,sorry about the book,but I'm still psyched!

Wow, six on one stand. That's enough to rattle the most seasoned callers. My best is 5 and I was lucky enough to get 1.

WoW I'm in awe :wub::wub: thats something,great story

go to wallyworld for the camera I think they have some for 40 or 50 bucks(and that wont hurt as much when you knock it outta the PU and run over it!)

great read, I started a post one time called the greed factor, it was about calling them in and trying to get more than just the one you have in the crosshairs. You can't kill two till ya kill one. :D

smote the Yote

sly

hey cross j......with 6 u get egg role.....i do not know exactly what that means..... it was an old movie.....i think....anyway awsome job...my high is only five.........i wish your pard would have set on the hole a little longer..... might have made for a darn funny story......

okcoyote :)

Cross J--good calling and good story. It sounds like you could have used a shotgun on that stand!!! :D:D:D

Hey Cross J,

What a stand!! I am glad you at least got one. Hopefully your buddy flattened his learing curve a bunch on that one. What a morning! :D

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

YEEEEEEHAAWWW!!

There's one of them stories! I like the skunk part. Patsy and Tomcat were playing around with a skunk like that one day. It waddled right up to Tomcat till he had to break and run. Then it waddled over to speak with Patsy and she dang near left the whole county. I was just trying to hunt. I don't know what all the excitement was about.

Sign in to follow this