engine4on

Water purification products

I am interrested in a high quality water purification setup to have on hand in case things really get bad. There are numberous ones on the market and I am seeking advice from members who know more about them than I do.

Thanks Timbo

I've been eye balling the SAWYER POINT ZeroTWO system. It's on my 2013 purchase list.

I also carry a Life Straw in my pickup and back pack.

Timbo,

The Baptist Men mission teams use a ceramic one, and I know several folks who have run perdy near everything you can imagine through them! AND did not get sick. I'll see if I can find the info on it. Have it saved on my laptop up at the office. this is a drip style, and just takes two containers of like size.

Calvin

Thanks guys, I have a gut feeling that one day I will need something to provide safe drinking water for my family. I have prepared for bad times in other ways and want to expand into the basics.

I've been eye balling the SAWYER POINT ZeroTWO system. It's on my 2013 purchase list.

I also carry a Life Straw in my pickup and back pack.

This looks like what I need. Thanks

Timbo,

The Baptist Men mission teams use a ceramic one, and I know several folks who have run perdy near everything you can imagine through them! AND did not get sick. I'll see if I can find the info on it. Have it saved on my laptop up at the office. this is a drip style, and just takes two containers of like size.

Calvin

I believe this is the one that you are referring to-

http://shop.monolithic.com/collections/on-the-go-water-filters/products/ceramic-water-filter-for-bottles-and-backpacks

I recently bought a couple ($9)

E67987D4-331F-48C5-A5AE-1C6E2E22942A-5509-000009C2B1F83390.jpg

Yeah Boomy! That's them, but I was thinking they were a bit more pricey. Maybe I was looking at a large capacity model.

I just know that a friend of mine drank water that he said was about 2 molecules away from sewage, but was plenty safe after running thru these filters, for a week in Nigeria. He ain't dead yet, so reckon they work pretty well!

Calvin

A guy that goes on some of our river camp trips uses one of these. I have the hand pump model. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but his works really good. He wades into the river fills it up and hangs up, then fills his water bottles. http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-backcountry-series-products/katadyn-base-camp-1/

Thanks guys.

Timbo,

Just found the thread bu have been eye-balling a lot of these products as well as wanting to make a decent size solar still for converting saltwater.

Thanks for the info!

The Life Straw people also make a gravity fed filter system designed for small groups/families. You fill a container with suspect water, elevate it (hang it from a tree branch etc.) and the water flows through the filter and collects in a container below the filter.

I agree with Buzzard. Beer needs no filtration.

I agree with Buzzard. Beer needs no filtration.

Well, most of it doesn't. Does anybody remember drinking a local Texas brew called Buckhorn? I think it was made from the crap at the bottom of the barrel after they finished a run of Lone Star (that ought to give you an indication of the quality!)