Bennie

Heavy Metal Vs Winchester Blind Side

Any one have any experience with Winchester Blind Side . I have shot Heavy Metal and like it , but Blind Side looks interesting as well !!

Bennie, I tested Blind Side, conventional HeviMetal and Black Cloud last year, and the HeviMetal won in patterning and penetration testing in wet newspaper at 40 yards. On ducks, at various ranges, the HeviMetal also provided me with the most frequent "DRT" kills. On two occasions, where I "jumped" ducks on a stock tank, the Blind Side, at close (20-25 yards) ranges really chewed up the birds. Killed 'em real dead, but sure messed 'em up. I used the rest of my Blind Sides for night hunting on foxes, skunks, possums and 'coons, and it was deadly at ranges up to 40 yards. I haven't replaced my supply of Blind Sides, and have doubled down on HeviMetal. I was fascinated with the idea of shooting tiny bricks, but I think their shapes work against them because of aerodynamics: they pattern strangely and at normal hunting ranges, did not provide any detectable advantage in penetration on either ducks or wet newspaper. (BTW, I was using 3 inch #2 shot in my 12 gauge shotguns, with full choke and IM chokes)

Mike , I've had great results with Hevi Metal as well . Kinda like you the new shape was interesting . I know I use Heavy Shot # 2s on geese and it is really great on them even the big Greaters !! Thanks for your response !!

By the way Macks Prairie Wing has Heavy Metal on sale and free shipping on case lot !!

I love heavy metal. the music and the ammo! Never shot blind side. Ive found heavy metal shoots better in heavy coastal wind than steel does. Worth the money in my book for sure

Hevi Metal is a great load and I use it religiously on waterfowl. I did test it in comparison vs blind side when it first came out and was night and day difference. Not to say the blind side is not a good load as Winchester is a reputable company, however in my experience the hevi shot pellets hit the birds so much harder, and the premium steel in the loads mixed in, aid in creating a pattern density that is out of this world.

When I switched to Heavy Metal last year I stopped getting so many cripples. I had terrible luck with Black Cloud and will not be using it anymore. Have not used BS.

I've been just shooting Kent Fasteel for years. Been real happy with it. I'm too tight to shoot those high dollar shells!! Hevi shot is some impressive stuff though I will admit.