Bobcat

From My Cold Dead Hands Is Not Enough!

Excellent Editorial!!

New Jersey --(Ammoland.com)- Often when I speak about the Second Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms, and what actions we need to take in order to preserve our rights, I am rebuked with the apathetic response, “From my cold dead hands.”

While this is very poetic expression of an admirable sentiment, it is unlikely to ever happen, and unlikely to be effective. But there are things we can do today that are far less costly, far less poetic, and drastically more effective.

When guns are confiscated in the United States, few, if any, have the opportunity to face law enforcement with their weapons and die for the right to keep and bear arms. What happens, more often than not, is that law enforcement or the National Guard come into your home while you’re sleeping and hold you at bay with the select-fire model of the same weapon they came to confiscate from you.

New Yorkers who had their firearms confiscated under New York’s gun-control laws did not have the chance to fight for their Second Amendment nor did those in New Orleans who had their guns confiscated after hurricane Katrina—and even if they had, I’m not sure that we would ever know about it.

It is unlikely that the media would report “Law Abiding Gun Owner Dies Defending the Nation’s Second Amendment Rights.” More than likely, this would be reported as a crime committed by the gun owner, who, because he used his gun in the commission of a crime, was in possession of the firearm illegally and whose death would be used to justify further gun-control laws.

There is something you can do today that can help protect our Second Amendment rights.

We don’t have to die, we don’t have to become martyrs, but we do have to take action. I empathize with people when I hear them say “from my cold dead hands” because when I think about the number of steps it will take to preserve our Second Amendment rights, the idea of taking a bullet is somewhat more appealing. For instance, it may be more appealing to some to take a bullet rather than to talk to politicians or join a lobbying organization; or to take a bullet rather than take the risk of introducing yourself and the shooting sports to someone new. But these three risks, will be what it takes to preserve our Second Amendment rights.

If everyone who is willing to mouth the words “from my cold dead hands” was willing to do three things, we could go a long way towards preserving our Second Amendment rights.

•Pick up the phone and call your representatives. The voice of gun control advocates is loud in our nation’s capital, and unfortunately, the voice of gun owners is quiet. We need to raise our voices so that our representatives know the Second Amendment is not to be infringed.

•Join at least one Second Amendment Society. These organizations are our voice and work tirelessly to protect our rights. They need our support, and they need their membership levels to reflect the number of gun owners in this country in order to be credible.

•This year commit to finding one new person was has never shot a gun, put a gun in their hand, and get them involved in the shooting sports. Some estimates put gun ownership in the United States at about 50 percent. As we increase that proportion, pressure for gun control goes away.

It will take much more than this to preserve our rights, but it’s a good start and will be far more effective than promising to die for the preservation of the Second Amendment.

Well said! I'll be sharing this with a lot of folks. And I'll be taking the actions recommended; I've already done the first two, but need to introduce someone to the shooting sports. Kinda hard to find someone in the Mason area that's never fired a gun, though!

I've done 2 of the 3, but have never actually called my Representative. That will come soon.

Point 4: NEVER support a politician that isn't overtly pro-2nd Amendment as proven by his voting record and actively work against any politician that is anti-gun.

its a lot of fun teaching women how to shoot, they have a blast and when done right they feel a lot safer. Ive taken a few out that have shot before, but it's been a little 22 or 20 gauge. It was odd for me to find out how insecure they felt handling a large rifle or even the 12 gauge. So what I've done is just let um shoot. Get a case of shells and teach um how to properly load and fire it then I walk away and read a book or do paperwork. It's amazing how much they enjoy just being alone with a gun. Most women have been "shown" how to shoot but never left to figure things out on their own. Can't find someone who hasn't shot a gun? then Go find a woman who has who you can teach to shoot better!!! Trust me it's worth it.

Kit,I agree;women are much better students as a rule. I have a range out here on the property + have done lessons over the last 30+ years. The common thread here is that women are better students in large because they are more receptive to valid instruction while men as a rule have an ego issue + thus are much more poor students.They already know everything even though they don't.

I am not sure how one teaches someone to shoot when there is no ammo because it has all been hoarded and is being price gouged out the wazoo. I have recently talked to three people who in the wake of the anti gun climate went to buy their first gun, only to back out on learning there was no ammo to be had for their new gun. I am afraid that we shooters are turning out to be our own worse enemy.

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of the lead post. I will digress for a moment, since I have the floor. I put talk of a "civil war" up there with the "cold dead hands" talk I have brought this up on similar hunting sites and I have been rudely received by some. I am in the groups who feels that peaceful action is the way to go. Active action! Do not just sit there! Do your part. Promote your viewpoint, but do it peacefully. We are law abiding and there are law abiding ways that we can do this.