Insayn

Paw Print Identification

While walking the property we found this print near a hog wallow. It is roughly 3" in length and larger than the prints my German Shepherd leaves. We initially thought mountain lion or perhaps a large bobcat since we can see claw impressions on each toe. What do you think?

Print.sized.jpg

Print_zoom.jpg

What SHOOTER said. Big dog. Cat prints don't show claws..........

This is a photo of a cougar track I took in New Mexico. That is a quarter in the track.

NMLionTrack640.jpg

NMLionTrack001-640.jpg

Dog, coyotes generally only have two claw marks on the middle two toes. The outer ones don't have the claw mark usually. The nail shows on all four "toes" in a dog print.

What about a cat that is leaning on a waters edge....wouldn't the claws come out as they try to gain traction and balance?

Compare the photo of your tracks to the known cougar track photo posted by Bobcat...they don't resemble each other in any way.

All cats have 3 lobes on the back of there pad. Look in Bobcats picture and you will see what I mean. That is the sure fire way to tell its a cat. I have seen lion tracks where you could see the claws but it doesn't happen very often. Its all in the lobes ;)