MO_Piggin

Missouri Boys Strike Again

Lil-Ben, BrentDude, and I have just returned from a great trip to the Three fingers bow ranch in Fairfield, Texas. We had a great time enjoying all of the hospitalities that Texas has to offer. We arrived at the camp around 2:30 on Friday. After brief introductions and a couple of practice shots, Ben Capps took us out to our stand. It was great that he had a stand large enough for all three of us since we wanted to film our hunts for each other. As soon as we got settled in, the feeder went off. There were an incredible number of whitetail doe that came in. Then we heard the grunt of the little porkers. We were in no hurry to shoot on the first night, but after about 5 minutes, Brent decided to take a pig. We got the camera set up and Brent made a great shot with his Mathews Z7. The Swhacker broadhead did a great job and the pig ran about 30 yards for an easy recovery. Shooting the pig slowed down the action at the stand for a while, but about an hour later the feeder went off again and all of the whitetail came back. An Aoudad came through and walked within bow range, but we weren't ready to shoot it yet on night one. Just before dark, a nice Fallow buck wondered through. We tried to get lined up for a shot, but by the time we got the camera and everyone situated, the animal was no longer in range.

We ended night one with one hog down. We had a great time and hopefully Brentdude will get the video footage posted in short order. Ben Capps came picked us up from the stand and we all went back and watched Ryan clean the hog. We each enjoyed our 2 drink limit and headed back to the hotel to rest up for the morning hunt.

post-19021-0-27669700-1324405504_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-58570200-1324405538_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-27669700-1324405504_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-58570200-1324405538_thumb.jpg

Day two of our hunt was also pretty eventful. We started the morning in the same stand. Just before daylight, two very large fallow bucks came through. Even though they crossed within 15 yards of us, we couldn't see any pins on our bows and we were unable to get any shots off. As the sun came the whitetail continued to pour in. I would estimate that we saw 40 deer by the time that we exited our stand, but no more exotics. We headed to town for some breakfast and started to get ready for a mid-day hunt.

At about 11:30 we headed out for our second hunt of the day. Lil-Ben wanted to try a Texas Dahl and Brent went with him to film. I opted to try a tree stand to see if I could luck out on an exotic. Ryan and Ben were able to sneak Lil-Ben and Brent into a stand where the rams commonly crossed. They spread out some corn to slow the rams down and left Lil-Ben and Brent to take care of business. Before Ben had a chance to take his ram, a nice Fallow buck happened across the corn and enjoyed his last meal. Lil-Ben took the camera from Brentdude and got some more footage of the Z7 doing its magic. A short while later, Ben Capps' prediction came true. A large herd of sheep came through including 1 that really stood out. Lil-Ben quickly made his choice and took out a fine Texas Dahl with his PSE Dream Season. The Swhacker broadheads did their job again. Neither animal made it 30 yards.

On the other side of the ranch I was anxiously sitting in my tree stand. I saw lots of whitetail and a harem of fallow does, but still not the exotic buck that I wanted. At least the weather was nice. Afternoon temps were in the 50's and I had an incredibly relaxing hunt enjoying the outdoors.

post-19021-0-68722900-1324406940_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-91726000-1324407113_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-68722900-1324406940_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-91726000-1324407113_thumb.jpg

Well, with great weather, great companionship and great hunting, what more could a bunch of MO boys as for?

Congratulations, guys!

At about 3 Saturday afternoon it was time for our evening hunt. Once again, I opted for a tree stand and Brent and Ben shared a blind. They were in the market for a pig and I was still looking for my exotic buck. For the next 2 hours I observed Red Stag and Fallow deer cross a field within 100 yards from my stand, but never close enough for a shot. I was starting to get concerned about my ability to harvest the animal that I had traveled 1200 miles to kill. As the sun started to set, I was thrilled to see 2 beautiful Red Stag does meander near my stand. I was considering trying a shot at them, but they had stopped just behind a cedar tree. When they started to move again I noticed a larger animal behind them. I could tell that it was a Red Stag, but I couldn't make out much for horns. At this point, I wasn't trophy hunting so I decided on my shot. I drew my Mathews Reezen and placed my 20 yard pin the best I could in the fading light. When I released I was thrilled to hear a dull thud. The Stag took off and ran about 15 full strides before crashing dead. The arrow had entered through the ribs and exited all the way through the front shoulder.

When Ben came to pick me up, it was all that we could do to get the big monster loaded. Horns or not, it made a great pile of meat.

post-19021-0-63883300-1324408124_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-79195500-1324408150_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-63883300-1324408124_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-79195500-1324408150_thumb.jpg

Well, with great weather, great companionship and great hunting, what more could a bunch of MO boys as for?

Congratulations, guys!

I couldn't have said it better! :)

After Ryan finished cleaning the Red Stag, we once again enjoyed our self-imposed limit of 2 beverages each. Brent was dying to try the new green light that he had bought for his bow, so Mr. Capps agreed to us going on a filmed night-time stalk. Our original quarry was to be hogs, but the goats were much more receptive to the idea. Very Baaaaaaaaad night to be a goat!

post-19021-0-43298600-1324408579_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-03941200-1324408652_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-43298600-1324408579_thumb.jpg

post-19021-0-03941200-1324408652_thumb.jpg

Great story and pics , sounds like you all had a great time and a very enjoyable hunt !!

Thanks T10X and Bennie. With the assistance of this board I have been able to find some great adventures for myself and my friends. I just got done eating a big pile of Red Stag steaks. I sliced them, soaked them, dredged them in flour and fried them. The only seasoning that I put on them was garlic salt. They were absolutely delicious! We brought home all of our meat so I'll give you a full report on how we eat everything else.

Thanks for all of the advice that we got pre-trip. I'm sure that I'll be collecting info here again before our next big adventure. :wub::wub::wub:

Big time congrats to all of you!! What a great Christmas present............

Thanks for the terrific report. Enjoy that Red Stag meat!!

Bob :P

I just got off the phone with Lil-Ben. He had just gotten done eating a meal of Texas Dahl. He butterflied the loins and ran them through a cuber. He breaded them and fried them. He swears that it's as good as beef steak. No wild smell or taste at all. Based on the fact that the ram looked like he was carrying a set of cantaloupes, I find that shocking. If there's anyone else out there that have eaten ram that have had a similar (or opposite) experience, I'd love to hear about it.

Merry Christmas to all and long live the Posse! :)

Lucky day for me. I just found one lone remaining pack of Red Stag from this hunt. Two years old, but no real signs of freezer burn. Red Stag stew for lunch!

Thats great eating! My buddies place backs up to a high fence ranch where several got out. He was nice too long calling the owner and all the stags got removed but he finally gave in and shot a couple cows! They were delicious! His wife was yelling at him why he shot 2 at first to yelling why he let the 3rd one get away after she ate some!!! Lol!!!