dougk

Opossum calling?

Has anyone had success calling opossum? I have had to dispatch a few recently and fear there may be more in the woods...

thanks

Doug

dougk, I've never been able to know for sure if a possum has come into my set as a result of my calling. Over the years, I've had a few show up while I was calling; but then, I've had a few show up when I was out running my tiller in the garden! Since, by nature, they're not really aggressive predators, I don't think they're good candidates for calling. They're more opportunists, who'll eat just about anything they happen to come across; but I've never had one come running in with his eyes ablaze, ready to kill whatever was making that awful noise!

I have never called one in. Like Mike, I have had them make themselves "targets of opportunity" while I was calling.

Bob :P

I have never called one in. Like Mike, I have had them make themselves "targets of opportunity" while I was calling.

Bob :P

thanks guys...

I figure they are more scent oriented than sound oriented.

I wounder if they could be brought in with really rank and smelly stuff.

Doug

Doug,

They are attracted to funky smelling stuff! I was trying to live trap a feral cat, using cat food. My set didn't work for a couple of days, and the cat food started smelling really bad. I checked the trap one morning and there sat a possum! If you want to trap them, go to the store and buy the smelliest, nastiest, cheapest wet cat food they have and give it try! (Be aware that skunks may come to visit your smelly set as well!)

two day old dead chicken in the summer heat will call all opossums, and sardines seem to catch a few. I guess luck or not caught them with steal traps by just placing on logs across creeks and one on beaver dams.

Not that it really matters, but for the record, a opposums brain sits at the top of its head. A shot right between the eyes would probably produce a heck of a nose bleed faster than a quick kill. Just sayin'.

I've caught a bunch with sardines, the little turds like cat food alot though. Our cat had to fight to eat till we started feeding him at 12:00 pm