MikeI

How To Build An AR-15 & Caliber Choices!

Any of you out there who are trying to figure out where to go and what to do first with your new Posse lower may find this video very helpful:

http://www.brownells.../guntechdetail/

Here is a list of compatible calibers at this point:

AR-15 without bolt modification:

.17 Remington

.20 Tactical

.204 Ruger

.221 Fireball

.222 Remington

.222 Remington Magnum

.223 Remington (5.56x45mm)

.223 Remington Ackley Improved

6x45mm

6mm Whisper

6.5mm Whisper

7mm Whisper

7mm TCU

.300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)

.338 Whisper

AR-15 with bolt modification:

223 WSSM

5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)

243 WSSM

6mm PPC

6mm BR Remington

6.5mm PPC

6.5mm Grendel

25 WSSM

6.8x43mm SPC

.30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)

7.62x39mm

.30 RAR

.357 Auto

.35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)

.358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)

.458 SOCOM

.50 Action Express

.50 Beowulf

AR-15 using a simple blowback operation: .17 HMR

.22 LR

.22 WMR

9x19mm

40S&W

10mm Auto

45ACP

THANKS for posting this! My brain hurts, lol!

I wish there was a better way to view these (YouTube, etc), but browser doesn't love their interface and RealPlayer can't save from it.

But MAN there's a TON of GREAT info there!

Thanks!

~M

Has anyone built a 9mm AR? If so... what worked for you and would you do anything differently?

Have the itch for another stamp and thinking of a SBR in 9mm.

Thanks!

You can add the 338 Spectre and possibly the 10mm magnum to the list. IIRC I read somewhere recently that there's a 22-250 upper available.

Correct... Olympic has made an advancement in the machining of the lower receiver, to allow it to be used with standard magazines, OR their proprietary (and expensive) magazine that will allow a 22-250 to be shot. Overall, I'd rather buy an AR10

I noticed my favorite varmint round (22 Magnum) is listed! Any leads on where I might find the upper and magazines should I convince my wife I "need" one as an option with my upcoming TPP AR15 build?!?! Might be fun for high capacity Raccoon control night ops, lol!

Cal

Call Killer, I respectfully defer to the folks who really know about this topic. I'm, at best, a casual user of the AR platform and all its variants; there's folks on this forum who make their living with it, and they are much better qualified to provide you with the answers to your questions!

Cal,

There's a VERY limited number of manufacturers that are making the 22wmr uppers at the moment. The only two that come to mind do not have very good reputations.

However, I can confirm that there is one company that is still making the .17HMR.... if you're interested. We are dealers for them as well, and you can be placed on the waiting list for one (have a couple on order at the moment). I can make a few calls to confirm the status of the couple .22WMRs that I've heard of, and see if any UPDATES have been made to their reliability.

Just started a build with a barrel from Black Hole Weaponry that uses the 6.8SPCII case necked down to 6mm. Some places it's called the 6mmX6.8SPCII and some call it a 6mm WOA. Pushed 85 grainers at 3000fps from a 16" bbl.

Yee HAW, 30378! That's a smokin' combination. You gotta let us know how it turns out. Should be accurate, and should push the effective hunting range out there well beyond 200 yards. We'll want a full range report once you get her all tricked out.

Just started a build with a barrel from Black Hole Weaponry that uses the 6.8SPCII case necked down to 6mm. Some places it's called the 6mmX6.8SPCII and some call it a 6mm WOA. Pushed 85 grainers at 3000fps from a 16" bbl.

The 6x6.8 is a great round to play around with. Your fps deficiency over the 6WOA (which they're not QUITE the same, the WOA is a result of a different shoulder angle, and utilizes specialty dies) will be marginal.

We are planning on offering several of the BHW wildcats later this year, including the 6.5mm/6.8SPC and the 6mm/6.8SPC.... these will offer much more flexibility than their counterpart on the 6.5 Grendel parent case wildcats. But then again, anything in 6mm is just "flat" fun to play with :D Pun intended LOL>

And the 22-6.8.

And the 22-6.8.

Yes... and the .22x6.8........

I just looked in the email, and it looks like the 450 and 458 will be a reality this year, far ahead of anything I originally imagined... we had been told late last year our source was essentially out of the marked due to a 2 year backlog

Mike On the caliber list 7.62. I want to build a .308/7.62 with my TPP lower I bought when I get it. Starting to look for parts. Just wondering you have the 7.62 in the section that says with bolt modification. Can you eloborate. Is it just buying the .308 bolt assembly or are there other mods to be done. Thanks