Sign in to follow this  
venatic

6mm DTI

Just got a new AR from Dedicated Technology last week and thought I would share a couple of pictures along with a quick story. I have a 6X45mm from Mike(DTech) and last fall I read where he was making a 6mm from the 6.8SPC case and was asking what kind of performance to expect from it. What he described seemed to be a cartridge between the 6X45mm and the .243WSSM that he also makes. Thinking that I would try the Fed's policy of spending my way out of debt I told him put me on the list.

It shows up with a set of Hornady dies and some 6.8SPC brass so I got to loading.... the process was simple really just lube the neck and run them thru the die... that's it.You do have to fire-form to form the 30 degree shoulder but my groups nor my speeds really changed from initial firing to the finished brass so you can expect good performance while forming brass.

Here is the rig.

IMG_0102.jpg

Here is first victim shot Thursday night by moonlight.Load data: 29gr VV530/80gr Sierra Blitz/3265fps

IMG_0100.jpg

How much does your rig weigh? Just curious because of the fluting job that Mike does is contrary to what Bill Wilson does with his fluting...

regardless, the fluting looks good and looks as if it's saving some weight. I am a 6.8 shooter, and would like to know more info about the DTI other than what Mike has on his website.

He sure has a following.... and a wait time to match. I'd like one of his uppers some day. Any other loads that you will use with this upper?

How much does your rig weigh? Just curious because of the fluting job that Mike does is contrary to what Bill Wilson does with his fluting...

regardless, the fluting looks good and looks as if it's saving some weight. I am a 6.8 shooter, and would like to know more info about the DTI other than what Mike has on his website.

He sure has a following.... and a wait time to match. I'd like one of his uppers some day. Any other loads that you will use with this upper?

I have not weighed this particular one but I have two more AR's with similar configured barrels and they run 9 lbs to 9.5 lbs with scopes... I have also loaded 68gr bullets with the VV530 powder but the load seemed moderate and was pushing 3300fps and I just finished loading some 70gr Nosler BT's just to see what they do.I have also tried TAC powder with the 80gr Sierra extremely accurate but lower velocities.

The Shilen barrel is a 1/12 twist because my plan was to use 65-85gr bullets which seems to be the weight range that this design should shine with.

Congrats! That is great looking rig and it apparently shoots OK too!!

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

A 6mm 80 grainer at 3200+ with 29 grains of powder is very impressive...

Makes my 26 grains of powder with an 80 in my 6x45 at 2800 look bad...

David, I'm resurrecting this thread, because I was curious if you have loaded any of the 55gr pills, or the 70-75 gr pills? I see you've used the new CFE223 powder... do you think 8208 would work well here as well? Maybe H332? Trying to get powder, and would like to be consistent

Venatic

I have a White Oak Arms 6 WOA and was wondering how it compares to your DTI? The 6 WOA is also a 6.8 necked down to 6mm.

Rick

David, I'm resurrecting this thread, because I was curious if you have loaded any of the 55gr pills, or the 70-75 gr pills? I see you've used the new CFE223 powder... do you think 8208 would work well here as well? Maybe H332? Trying to get powder, and would like to be consistent

I used the 55gr Nosler SHOTS bullets last year some and right now the 70gr Nosler BT's.

I tried a few powders with the 55gr and settled on AA2015 but H335 shot good and was faster actually. Speeds with the 55gr from my 22 inch barrel ran from 3500-3600fps depending on load.

Currently I am shooting the 70gr bullets with IMR3031 and the reason I picked that powder was I had an old can sitting here and decided to try it. I had to use a drop tube to get it in the case but my speeds were very good (3340fps)and it was accurate so I loaded 75 rounds with the powder I had left.

Actually XBR8208 should do well as it's close to H4895 in burn rate and 4895 is a very good choice with the 70-75gr bullets. N530 was my standard for a while as it gives top speeds also and is quite accurate.

"Venatic

I have a White Oak Arms 6 WOA and was wondering how it compares to your DTI? The 6 WOA is also a 6.8 necked down to 6mm."

Rick

The 6WOA is very similar but has a longer neck and handles the heavier bullets better as they don't encroach into the powder capacity as much. The 6mmDTi works better (higher velocity) with the 80gr and lighter bullets thus makes a great varmint/predator gun.

Hunteremployeehunt018_zpsb9be6e9b.jpg

Sign in to follow this