Sign in to follow this  
Call Killer

Where do you look for a good Come A Long???

Well, since there has been little to no prospect of finding gainful employment, a friend and I have started doing some fencing to help on cash flow. I busted my good Come A Long a while back, and have only my TSC special POS cheapy. It has worked for the last couple of weeks, but takes to men to spool off due to a honked up catch release. I oredered a Maasadam off Amazon, supposed to be Made in U.S.A, and showed up with a Made in CHINA lable on it. Paid $25 for it, and it'll cost me $9.00 to send back for a refund :rolleyes: Dern that gets my goat :angry:

Therefore, I am begging for help in finding a <$60 price ranged Come A Long, that is made to last in the Goo Ole U.S. Of A. I want a single cable with about 12 feet or better of reach, and not made with laminated gears or catch. Dual catch type is my preferance, and solid made work horse (not Hores :rolleyes: ).

Thanks for any suggestions,

HVFD7014

Have you looked at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and Equipment? Northern has some double pawl ones in their cable puller section.

Dary

Sad to say but for what your are going to pay for a really good American made one you can buy 6-8 cheap ones at Harbor Freight. Break one throw it in a pile and sell the scrape iron later. The last American made one I bought broke before the Chinese ones did!

I just left Natchitoches, LA. I saw some real nice ones in a shop but didn't look at the name. I would have if I'd have known anyone was interested. I may run back over there sometime this weekend.

...and solid made work hores.

HVFD7014

By the way, you gotta love those solid made work hores! They really put out, can pull hard, and you really feel like you get your money's worth.

a company called" fastenal" sells fasteners but also has heavy industry tools, they may have to order but most stuff is American made and first class. They do have offices nation wide, and probably one near you since even mexia Texas has one. they do have catalogs. I may have missed spell the name, but try it.

Yep, Dad always said there's nothing like a good strip of hores to may a feller feel like a real man :rolleyes:

Think the heat is frying my brain, what there is to fry!

Good catch there NB :wub::wub::wub:

HVFD

I was going to offer to give you a good one until I read you wanted a single line. I haven't seen any good ones like you describe in a while. Seems they are all made overseas anymore.

i work at grainger industrial supply down her in beaumont, we sell a good one it is a little costly but you wont tear it up i promise you that

lee, I didn't know you work at Grainger! Heck, we've probly seen each other before. We get stuff from there all the time.

I figured this was a good time to post this again. Gotta love it.

horespq7.jpg

My problem seems to be the single line style, but the double doesn't give me enough line to stretch barbwire properly. I guess I'll just keep this Maasadam one and see how she handles the work. At $25 a pop, I can run one for a year or 2 and then buy another if it blows. I just hate buying tools from China!

I want my AMERICA back! The tools, clothes, boots, trucks, FUEL, mentality, freedom, work ethic, pride............ All of it, I want it BACK!

HVFD7014

And yes NB even the good work hores <_<

Back to the subject of stretching wire. I like using the ratcheting type of stretcher. You ever try that?

Back to the subject of stretching wire. I like using the ratcheting type of stretcher. You ever try that?

Never used one, but Dad always told me they don't get the wire tight enough. Doesn't look to be enough travel for a long run of wire to get all the stretch out. I don't like the catch that most of them have either, the Moore Maker type with the tapered eye and split ring holds better and is less likely to come loose before you want it to, in my oppinion.

Besides the come along stays in the truck at all times and has greater versalility, thus adding to its value to me. Guess I'm kinda set in my ways, been doing it this way my whole life. I don't handle change well, makes me confused! :rolleyes:

I use a fence stretcher too and have found it is easier than the come-along. Had been building feed pens for years, finally bought a fence-stretcher last year....and wished I had bought 20 years ago!

By the way....TSC does sell a very good come-along but it is in an upper price range around $60.00 :unsure:

Sign in to follow this