Sign in to follow this  
MikeI

The Hog Wars

Adjacent neighbors have agreed that it's open season on the feral pigs in the area, regardless of property lines. Going up to my place the other morning, I spotted a good sized group, inside a neighbor's property, and went hog huntin'.

hogsmack7.jpg

hogsmack3.jpg

hogsmack5.jpg

They were about 50 yards away when I opened up with the Ruger Ranch Rifle in 6.8mm SPC. A lot of running shots; some of them not too well placed, but I'm taking them out whenever I can. The days of trying to be the "one shot, one kill" person on the hogs around here is OVER!

Mike

I see you got some "breeders". Each one of them is like taking out 100 hogs............

Go get 'em!!

If there is going to be a big BBQ, SHOOTER and I are always willing to travel a bit! :D

Bob :P

I see you got some "breeders". Each one of them is like taking out 100 hogs............

Go get 'em!!

If there is going to be a big BBQ, SHOOTER and I are always willing to travel a bit! :D

Right now, with the seemingly random appearance of the hog tribe in about a 20 square mile area, we never know when, where, or how many of the sounder will be making appearances in our area. I've never butchered a hog, so I'll need to find someone close who can step me through the process to keep me from making any mistakes that could ruin the meat and/or endanger the consumers! With the temperatures hovering around the mid-90's every day, and getting no lower than 70 at night, I worry about spoilage. So, right now, any victims I or my neighbors pick off are going to a common buzzard field. You might say that the local turkey buzzards are eating high on the hog. And the coyotes, the bobcats, the foxes, the raccoons and the ants, as well!

Mike

And the coyotes, the bobcats, the foxes, the raccoons and the ants, as well!
So hog hunt all day, then hang out at night for the predator hunt!

So hog hunt all day, then hang out at night for the predator hunt!

Now that would be a sweet life! I wonder how long I could get away with it before my significant other snapped me back into reality? She's good at that. :(

Mike

Next time I'm in town Mike I could come over and skin one out for you if you wish Mike...

They will spoil extremely fast in this heat...

Next time I'm in town Mike I could come over and skin one out for you if you wish Mike...

They will spoil extremely fast in this heat...

Thanks, Greg; I'd like to learn the process. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the hogs' appearance is a very random event. We had a whole bunch of them show up; then I went for almost a week without seeing a single one of them. Then, for a day or two, I saw a couple; then nothing for several days; then 6-8 of them! Kinda hard to plan a skinning/butchering session when the main attraction doesn't show up regularly. And, to compound the issue, I've seen them at 9pm, 11pm, midnight, 2am, 5am and 7am! So there's no discernible pattern to their roaming that I can figure out. But I appreciate the offer, and IF you're in town, and IF the hogs show up, and IF you've got the time, I would like to learn how to butcher them. Seems a shame, with all the hungry people in Mason County (and the world!) to waste so much meat.

Keep me apprised of your schedule.

Mike

Mike,

The small ones, roughly 50 lbs. and under, and a snap. Just field dress and skin them like you would a deer. Wear gloves with hogs. Like Greg said, you need to do it NOW in this heat and get the meat on ice ASAP. All you need to do now is split them down the middle for the pit/grill. You can soak them in ice water for a couple of days being sure to keep adding fresh ice and draining the water.

This is from the "Meat Man":

Skin and Debone or Quarter the animals out and place the meat in a large ice chest with the following mixture:

ICE WATER!! Along with ½ cup of vinegar and a medium or large (18 - 20 oz) size container or real lemon juice.

Soak large portions of meat for 2 or even 3 days - changing the water as needed and keeping the water ICE COLD and all meat covered with the ice water. Soak the meat till it turns white and all blood is leached out.

NOTE, if the meat begins to darken or turn blue then you got too much vinegar! The meat is not spoiled!! Change the ice water and reduce or eliminate the vinegar.

I would sure check out that gut/bait/buzzard pile in the evening!!! <_<

Mike,

The small ones, roughly 50 lbs. and under, and a snap. Just field dress and skin them like you would a deer. Wear gloves with hogs. Like Greg said, you need to do it NOW in this heat and get the meat on ice ASAP. All you need to do now is split them down the middle for the pit/grill. You can soak them in ice water for a couple of days being sure to keep adding fresh ice and draining the water.

This is from the "Meat Man":

Skin and Debone or Quarter the animals out and place the meat in a large ice chest with the following mixture:

ICE WATER!! Along with ½ cup of vinegar and a medium or large (18 - 20 oz) size container or real lemon juice.

Soak large portions of meat for 2 or even 3 days - changing the water as needed and keeping the water ICE COLD and all meat covered with the ice water. Soak the meat till it turns white and all blood is leached out.

NOTE, if the meat begins to darken or turn blue then you got too much vinegar! The meat is not spoiled!! Change the ice water and reduce or eliminate the vinegar.

I would sure check out that gut/bait/buzzard pile in the evening!!! <_<

Thanks, Bob! Sounds like the "pit prep" part of this I can do without much knowledge of knowing how to properly cut out all the select parts. So field dress it, skin it, split it, soak it for a couple of days and it's good to go on the pit?

And, yes, I think I need to monitor the carcass pile each evening to find out who's coming to dinner. . .

Mike

On the sows 75 to 150 I skin em, cut the hind quarters, shoulders, and loin out and scrap the rest. I don't do boars over a 100 , but do them the same way. Then soak the meat as said before, great eatin. Remeber if you need help with them hogs, I'm available to help a fellow Posse member out. ^_^

On the sows 75 to 150 I skin em, cut the hind quarters, shoulders, and loin out and scrap the rest. I don't do boars over a 100 , but do them the same way. Then soak the meat as said before, great eatin. Remeber if you need help with them hogs, I'm available to help a fellow Posse member out. ^_^

Thanks for the information, Bennie; between you, Bobcat and Greg, I should be able to get one on the ground and into the cooler without killing half my family with spoiled pork!

As you can tell from my previous posts, it appears that we are experiencing a wandering tribe of hogs in this area. They haven't set up a home base anywhere that we can figure out, nor do they appear on any kind of regular, predictable basis. All our kills have been "incidental" rather than planned. My two carefully planned ambushes wound up being 4 or 5 quality hours in a sweaty little blind with nothing to show for it but a significant loss of sleep. I was hoping the game camera would give me a guide as to when the piggies came out to play, but they seem to keep their own schedule! But I appreciate the offer of help.

Mike

No doubt they have their own schedule....I have found hunting my feeder almost impossible to kill hogs. could be 3am, 11pm, 8am...just no telling when they will be there.....

Try a large trap made from cattle panels....I have caught 20 or so with mine...still have not put a dent in them....

post-978-1215544718_thumb.jpg

post-978-1215544718_thumb.jpg

No doubt they have their own schedule....I have found hunting my feeder almost impossible to kill hogs. could be 3am, 11pm, 8am...just no telling when they will be there.....

Try a large trap made from cattle panels....I have caught 20 or so with mine...still have not put a dent in them....

Lance,

I may want to try a large trap, since my "personal encounters" with them are so unpredictable. How did you make the "trap door" for you large trap?

Mike

I take it that your "temporary" traveling hog population turned out to be more. I still have an AR and a Savage Mod12 FV waiting for something to do.

Chuck S

I take it that your "temporary" traveling hog population turned out to be more. I still have an AR and a Savage Mod12 FV waiting for something to do.

Chuck S

The problem is that the "temporary" hog problem is still just that: temporary. At least as far as my property is concerned. I won't see one for days and days; then I'll see them every day for a couple of days; then they're gone a week. Very hard to set up a hunt when the game doesn't show up except on a random, unpredictable basis. One of my sons wanted to try to shoot one, so I invited him over from Austin. We hunted, at different times, for 3 days and nights, and got one raccoon! Never even saw a pig. Frustrating. But thanks for the offer, Chuck. If my temporary problem becomes permanent, I may take you up on the offer to help me take 'em out!

Mike

Sign in to follow this