Calling Feral Hogs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tallgrass

tallgrass

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

I see that Johnny Stewart has casettes, but not a CD, with hog calling sounds. Does anyone have any experience with calling hogs. If so what sounds did you use and where did you get them?

Thanks

#2 Brent

Brent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:54 AM

I personally use a mouth call and have had good success (when I know hogs are in the area)....We have a draw that has held water this year, it's only about 80 yds. from our trailer at the lease, and one night I heard them over there in the draw....I got out my mouth call, and within 10 minutes I had two of them within 20 yds of the trailer....they winded me, spooked, and ran back to the draw....i dumped a bag of corn on the ground, called again, and here they came....I went in the trailer, watched from the window, so as not to spook them.....So, haven't used the electronic call on them, just the mouth call.

#3 rangerider7

rangerider7

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, western antiques, golf and 5 grandkids.

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

What sound did you use? Hog? Thanks!

#4 Yote-buster

Yote-buster

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

i have tried using baby pig distress when i knew they were in the area, made em squeal alot, but never showed themselves. i do know people that have had success, but i haven't ever....i guess it's worth a shot if it has worked for some people. even though it has never worked for me, i know i will try it again.....
it's all about shot placement

#5 SwampCat

SwampCat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:45 AM

Try the "Feeding-Frenzy" tape; it gets results, especially around an established corn pile....

#6 Jeff W

Jeff W

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:44 AM

When your calling hogs do you use alot of volume.

#7 crazycooter

crazycooter

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Huntin, Fishin, huntin, fishin, building gun stocks, did i mention huntin and fishin

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

i bought some hog calls not to long ago and one sounds alot like a buck grunt the other sound like a real sxrewed up jack rabbit. All i ever got was a few grunts back. So i put up the calls and snuck up on them and shot 5 of em

#8 Captkb

Captkb

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

I can honestly say I have called in hogs one time using the feeding frenzy tape. I have tried it several times with hogs in the area and started out with a low volume with zero results. Now if we hear hogs, we play the wind in our favor and take off after them. We have tons of hogs in this area and in all the times I have been out calling predators I have never called up a hog. I wish they would come into a call like that as that just adds to all the fun we have calling already.
Parker Game Calls

#9 Bull

Bull

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hello,
I just returned from a pig hunt near Palestine, TX. I was dropped in a stand on the last night that had no bait :angry: , I was a little nervous I was about to get skunked. Fortunately I brought my FoxPro to the stand with me, as dusk set in and I coud hear groups of hogs in the distance, I turned on the caller using "hog feeding frenzy" sound at about medium volume. I just let it run, shortly I had one lone boar come in, he got shot. About ten-ish minutes later hear comes a string of 6-8 hogs heading right for the caller. I lit one up with my red lensed Streamlight, and laid'er down. I couldn't get on the survivors fast enough to pick up any straglers. I would have to say that the FoxPro with hog feeding frenzy definitely improved my chances, and I would do it again. Hope this helps.
Bull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users