8 replies to this topic

#1 Texpppr

Texpppr

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:07 PM

Does anyone know how much it cost to run rural electrical service some distance to some hunting land? Thanks.

#2 Reaper

Reaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

I will need to check for sure , but I work for an electric co-op and here they will built 1/4 of a mile for free to an all electric home, then you have to pay $3.00 per foot for every thing after that. hope this helps.I am not sure about the exact cost per ft. but I know that is a close figure.

#3 Rancher

Rancher

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:11 PM

Good thing you're not in New Mexico. The won't build anything for free and it was costing around $12.00 per foot. Definately cost prohibitive.

#4 ICMCumin

ICMCumin

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Wing shooting, turkey hunting, salt water fishing. Love to be outside

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:51 PM

Steve:

Each coop is different. At one time Uncle Sam partially subsidized the service but that was a long time ago.

The best thing to do is call the local coop and get an estimate. Hope you have a deep pocket. :P :P

You may be better served by buying a gas powered generator.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government".....Thomas Jefferson

"Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." .....Ben Franklin

Nassau Bay, Texas

#5 MaBell

MaBell

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:coyote hunting, shooting, hunting, fishing, and did I mention hunting

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:32 AM

I Agree with what ICMCumin had to say about deep pockets.

When I built the place I have here in Colorado the rural company could not run electricity to me because of National Forest blocking the access. I had to go solar, with a generator backup. The whole setup for electrical was $30,000 installed. Now this gives 110v for the house and 220v for my well pump, and allows everything to run as if it were in town. My generator runs on propane, and starts automaticly when needed. The house runs off a battery bank of 16 large industrial batteries.

Just for grins I ask the rural electric how much it would have cost to run the line to me and set things up. Their answer was $1,000 per pole. I am very remote in the mountains northwest of Colorado Springs, so the terrain presented it's own problems. Their rough estimate was $180,000 plus. So all I can say is be sure what you are getting into before you commit to it.

Regards,
MaBell
MaBell says, "reach out and touch them"
"It ain't that hard to hit them,,, it's just so darned easy to miss"

#6 goat1

goat1

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

It will be expensive. Best to just buy a generator.

Goat1

#7 Reaper

Reaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

how far are you talking about ? You can always go buy some cable and run it yourself , just have them step up your transformer so that you have good voltage at your house .and if they offer any line for free that will just put you that much closer.And then if it is still too far for secondary voltage you can buy a step up transformer to raise it when it gets there.
I hope you get it all worked out.

#8 Texpppr

Texpppr

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. We are talking 2 miles or so. may have to wait on this project.

#9 randya

randya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Hunting! What else is there?

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:45 PM

Lots of options, go ask them.

Generator.

Solar.

Wind.

Let them build as far as they can for free, take feed out of meter, 120/240, buy your own transfomer, feed it 120/240 through the secondary, on a pole, back fed out at primary voltage to over head line as far as you want to go. You will have to do the work or hire a contractor to do it. It is easy, we have lots of customers that take delivery at 120/240 then step it up, and back fed for miles. Customer owned.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users