• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HogginHank

HogginHank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 03:22 PM

Well I think I know why I have not been seeing many deer at my lease in Spring Branch TX. There have been a few lions around the area. I think I have heard of 5+ sightings in the last month.. From what I have read and learned about these cats, this is a LOT of sightings in an area and they must have a pretty good foothold with that many sightings. I would guess it's only about 6 square miles that these sightings have been in. It's in North Western Comal County and some of the ranch is in Kendall County. My question is: Are these cats hard to call in?? And what type of call can I use?? I don't want to hunt them yet but I think I will after deer season. I have not seen any signs on my lease but as the crow flies .25 miles away on the neighboring ranch they have seen 2 lions , about 1.5 miles before my lease they saw 3 lions together on a creek bottom(1 large and 2 medium size)just across the road less than 1/2 a mile they saw a medium size cat and 2.5 miles away they have had multiple blackbuck and mouflon ewes(spelling??) killed and and witnessed one come back to the kill and take it away. My brother-in-law lives on 300 acres lust 1.65 miles to the east of where I hunt and he has only seen 2 deer this entire season. And he usually shoots about 10+ deer of of his ranch every year. He also found a lot of deer hair all under his protien feeder(he said it looked like someone pulled out a deers hair with some pilers)and blood all over the ground???? Don't know of any coons that could do that :(

I have not called TPW yet but I am going to next week sometime just to ask if they have been getting any reports of lions in this area. You know that most of those ranchers will never report any of those sightings but I would just like to know if there have been any reported.

With that said, do any of you have any advise for me for when I'm out hunting and there could be lions in my area?? Thanks

#2 kitty

kitty

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 10:03 PM

Watch your back <_< They're really sneeky..... :biggrin:
Is Make-up considered camo???

#3 JessB

JessB

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like a good time to me! :D (hunting cats that is)

Sorry to hear the deer population on your brother ranch has dropped.

#4 flapjack

flapjack

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing , ATV's, camping &amp; traveling

Posted 26 December 2004 - 08:52 PM

The average lion will kill a deer a week. They are PURE predators and will kill anything they think they can. They are a deadly animal which is not afraid of anything that I know of, unlike Bobcats and Coyotes. In my opinion, they are about as nasty a killer as the Wolf.

#5 Ladobe

Ladobe

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 03:24 PM

Easily one of the most exhilerating calling experiences there is, especially when you call alone as I do, and with mouth calls. Have successfully called lions for around 35 years now, and each new one is just as exciting as the first one was even though I am usually doing a service (ADC) for a rancher with a problem lion now days.

Scouting and talking to the ranchers is the first step to narrow down what areas might be currently holding a lion. They have a very large range, so don't waste your time calling in areas with no sign or recent activity. While lions will come to just about any distress sound, their main food supply is deer. Doe/fawn and bird distress has always worked the best for me. Be prepared to spend some time on stand too... they usually come in very slow and hang-up to make sure what they are getting into. I've stayed at least an hour on a stand I felt should produce based on the scouting - some have gone even longer and still finally got a show. Many times I've never seen them come in, only found them from careful searching when I relized I was not longer alone and being watched by something. The hair on the back of your neck standing up on end is a good sign on this one. Get in the habit of looking for shapes and colors out of place too - not very often that will you see the whole animal. And naturally, no movement is even more imortant than your camo especially if using hand calls.

Want an adrenalin rush like no other? Discover one only 10-20 feet away suddenly that you didn't see sneak in. Gets pretty tense pretty fast, and what keeps me going back for more whenever I get the chance.

Good luck,

Larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users