Photo

Scorpion problem.........Ideas Needed!!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Call Killer

Call Killer

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, good Cigars, and the great Outdoors

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

Just found a rather small Scorpion on my kitchen counter, which leads me to feel I have a Scorpio Problem........this is 4th in house in a month, and 10+ counting ones that were found outside.

Who knows of a good remedy for these critters? I DO NOT want my daughter getting popped by one, and I figure my wife would have to go to the ER if she was stung........allergic to everything else that stings!

We used to use Durasban as a kid, and had some left up to a few years back...........what is there out now that work as well?

Calvin

Size doesn't matter, placement does.

"Put the Wet stuff on the Red stuff!"

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."
George W. Bush

WELLS PUMPS, LLC

In GOD we Trust!

#2 jdickey

jdickey

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, photography, Bigfoot, and grand kids

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Some preventative measures - remove any wood or lumber that's stacked near the house, remove any mulch around the outside of the house.  Certain spiders will kill scorpions, and cats will catch and kill.  Then also sprinkle the outside of the out with just about any insecticide powder.

Otherwise....call ORKIN!  Commercial insecticides work the best, but you need a license to buy!

The only easy day was yesterday - U.S.N. SEALS
W's Backyard... Waco, TX
TSRA, NWTF, TexLa Research Group, BASS, BOONE & CROCKETT, TWA
Posted Imageretired

#3 SHOOTER

SHOOTER

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

I don't know if you can find it anymore, but if you can find some LCM that is made from red aromatic cedar. Sprinkie it heavily around the house and yard. An added benifit is that when it rains you will get the smell of cedar in the air.

Scorpions, spiders, snakes, fleas, ticks, and a lot of other creatures will vacate the area once it is applied.

The last time I found some, it was made up around the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

Way better than chemicals.

#4 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, all the shooting sports. Just about anything that goes bang is of interest!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Cal, I did a google search and came up with this site:

http://www.ehow.com/...on-control.html

There were a couple of others that came up as well, so you might try exploring them, as well as taking the pointers the Posse members have given you.
VETUSTIOR HUMO

#5 SHOOTER

SHOOTER

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

http://www.forestry....tory_012513.pdf

#6 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, church, and grandkids.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Calvin:

If you are into spraying, you might try a product called Demon WP, put out by Syngenta.  Several years ago this was recommended to me by a guy at one of the old feedstores nearby when I was looking for something to kill spiders on our porch and  in the garage.  He said that if a commercial sprayer ran out of his regular chemical in the middle of a job, he would come and get this to finish with.  I tried it, and it had residual effect for about 6 months, if spiders are any indication.  Also, I had tried spraying a number of things for tree ants, none of which had any residual effect from one day to the next, until I sprayed this also on the outside steps of the porch and the nearby tree crawl routes.  They disappeared for a very long time.  Scorpions are one of the "pests" listed on the packet as being affected by this product.  It is sold in a packet that contains 4 water-soluble packets inside.  Add two of these packets to a gallon of water to get the correct strength for scorpions.  The cost is about $12 for the packet of 4, which would make 2 gallons of spray.  The active ingredient is Cypermethrin, and as far as I can tell, it works, if you put the spray in the right places, and has more residual effect than anything else I have seen in recent years.  I keep a packet of it on hand now at all times for emergencies, i.e., when my wife finally sees another spider.  

Jerry

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Patrick Henry meant to say: "Give me Liberty or give me Democrats".

#7 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, all the shooting sports. Just about anything that goes bang is of interest!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Cal, sounds like OldPro recommended a winner:

http://www.domyownpe...CFcyY4AodJg4A5w

The description goes into great detail about the product and its safe uses.

OP, have you tried it as a skunk repellant?
VETUSTIOR HUMO

#8 AR-Patriot

AR-Patriot

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing,
    shooting,
    reloading,
    hunting,
    archery,
    welding,
    my God and my Country,
    not neccessarily in that order.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Cal,

get you a black light,stay up all night while the family sleeps,get you an air soft pistol or rifle,and you can do your "Varmint" hunting right there in the house!!!

No thanks necessary,my pleasure to be of assistance!

Demon is good stuff,got a friend who manages a lot of properties that have boat docks,the water seems to attract Scorpions,Black Widows,and Brown Recluse. He sprays the docks down with demon on a 6 month cycle,and has not had a complaint from clients in over 5 years. Not sure about the legality of using around a lake,but he says it sure works.Just be careful with the residual and your little girl!

I still like the black light Idea,maybe you could start doing guided hunts?make a little money off this thing!!!We could start a whole new forum on the Posse!

Patriot

AR-Patriot
"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,Must be replenished by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants"-Thomas Jefferson

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,and may posterity forget you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it,Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me,give me Liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry

"Now is the time for all good men to stand together,lest we fall seperately,like the hay before the scythe"-AR-Patriot 2013

MOLON LABE!

Cowboy Cuts Custom Metal Cutting
http://www.siteswelding.webs.com/

#9 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

OP, have you tried it as a skunk repellant?

Not yet....skunk wasn't listed as one of the "pests" it worked on.  The clincher as to whether it works or not is a warning on the package:  "Not legal for use in California".   That proved to me it worked before I even tried it.

#10 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Mike:

I like the website you posted above.....I'm going to order some more there myself,  as I'm about out, and you can't beat the price.  As noted in their ad, you can't find this at Lowe's, etc.   A good local feedstore would probably carry it, as that is where I first got mine.  I've not tried or seen the 1 lb. jar, but I think that is what I will get, as for the price you can make probably 24 gallons of the necessary strength compared to 8-10  gallons using the convenient packets.  Several years ago I sprayed this around my sister's storage shed for termites, and it got them, too, and they have not returned.  A little spray goes  a long way on fire-ant mounds, too.

#11 SHOOTER

SHOOTER

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Just be careful with it. 

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cypermethrin

Cypermethrin is a synthetic pyrethroid used as an insecticide in large-scale commercial agricultural applications as well as in consumer products for domestic purposes. It behaves as a fast-acting neurotoxin in insects. It is easily degraded on soil and plants but can be effective for weeks when applied to indoor inert surfaces. Exposure to sunlight, water and oxygen will accelerate its decomposition. Cypermethrin is highly toxic to fish, bees and aquatic insects, according to the National Pesticides Telecommunications Network (NPTN). It is found in many household ant and cockroach killers, including Raid and ant chalk.

Human exposure

Excessive exposure can cause nausea, headache, muscle weakness, salivation, shortness of breath and seizures. In humans, cypermethrin is deactivated by enzymatic hydrolysis to several carboxylic acid metabolites, which are eliminated in the urine. Worker exposure to the chemical can be monitored by measurement of the urinary metabolites, while severe overdosage may be confirmed by quantitation of cypermethrin in blood or plasma.[1]

Study in animals

A recent study at Xuzhou Medical College in China showed that, in male rats, cypermethrin can exhibit a toxic effect on the reproductive system. After 15 days of continual dosing, both androgen receptor levels and serum testosterone levels were significantly reduced. These data suggested that cypermethrin can induce impairments of the structure of seminiferous tubules and spermatogenesis in male rats at high doses.[2]

Long-term exposure to cypermethrin during adulthood is found to induce dopaminergic neurodegeneration in rats, and postnatal exposure enhances the susceptibility of animals to dopaminergic neurodegeneration if rechallenged during adulthood.[3]

If exposed to cypermethrin during pregnancy, rats give birth to offspring with developmental delays. In male rats exposed to cypermethrin, the proportion of abnormal sperm increases. It causes genetic damage: chromosomal abnormalities increased in bone marrow and spleen cells when mice were exposed to cypermethrin.[4] Cypermethrin is classified as a possible human carcinogen, because it causes an increase in the frequency of lung tumors in female mice. Cypermethrin has been linked to an increase in bone marrow micronuclei in both mice and humans.[5]

One study showed that cypermethrin inhibits “gap junctional intercellular communication”, which plays an important role in cell growth and is inhibited by carcinogenic agents.[6] Studies have shown that residue from cypermethrin can last for 84 days in the air, on walls, the floor and on furniture.[7]

Environmental effects

Cypermethrin is a broad-spectrum insecticide, which means it kills beneficial insects and animals as well as the targeted insects.[8] Fish are particularly susceptible to cypermethrin.[9] Resistance to cypermethrin has developed quickly in insects exposed frequently and can render it ineffective.[10]

#12 texan4ut

texan4ut

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Kayak Fishing, Camping, etc.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Looks like Tractor Supply carries the packet. 12.95

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

#13 Coyote EMT

Coyote EMT

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Been Varmint hunting since i was old enough to shoot; just now getting into the predator part.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

I have worked for a chemical company for two years and the demon is great it is labeled for residential areas. It only has a week or so residual for active killing. I would recommend spraying on days 1;3;14 no matter how little activity. Also there is a chemical called Arctic 3.3 (which is a permethrin) that is labeled for cattle and horses. I have used it while the dogs were in the back yard (I was spraying for fleas). Any permethrin will act the same just check the percentage of active ingredient to make sure the price is worth it. Alot of companies will make the product less concentrated and charge a fraction of a percent less to get more sales. As always be careful and dont spend the while day wollering in the stuff. No chemical is perfectly safe but the ones identified above are quite harmless to animals with limited exposure to the actual concentrate. 

Jon Marcaurele

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users