4 replies to this topic

#1 amigo

amigo

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

all my rifles now have variable power scopes. I did have a Leupold 6x42 on a rifle that I sold. I do recall that i liked it quite a bit. Now am considering another one. A leupold 6x42 FX 3. Will mount it on a 22-250 or 204 ruger. As my shots with these will most like be 100 yards, plus or minus a few. I think this is still a good option.
Plus, the price is right and it is good glass. I just like the simplicity of fixed power scopes under certain circumstances.
thoughts?
amigo
If'n I don't git 'nough trigger time, I gits a bit twitchy.

#2 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,331 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, all the shooting sports. Just about anything that goes bang is of interest!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I agree, amigo.  The fixed scopes have less to go wrong with them and you don't have the issue of different POI's at different powers, which is not an uncommon problem, particularly in the lower priced scopes (of which I have a few!).  And, given the fact that you're pretty sure what your distances are going to me, why not go with a fixed?  I find that on most of my variables, I wind up leaving it within one "X" of where I have it set most of the time, anyway!

VETUSTIOR HUMO

#3 TxMike

TxMike

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Interests:Surviving the next eleven years!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I have to admit I do a "bad thing" occasionaly which is to use my variable scope like a set of binos to identify game in the brush. I know, I know..... not the safest thing to do. I'm sure I am not the only one to do this but I only bring it up as I generally shoot with my scope set on 5 or 6 power, even after I have ID'd an animal worth shooting with the 9 or 12 power setting. I think with the proper set of Bino's then using a fixed power scope is just fine. I use them on almost all my short range stuff like 30/30's, .22's, and shotguns.

This topic reminds me of the old Wyoming pronghorn guide that used a beat up post '64 Winchester model 70 in 270 and a 4 power scope exclusively. He simply stated that he'd never felt underscoped or undergunned for any situation he come across guiding for pronghorn in all those years. I guess that is the difference in knowing your rifle and how to shoot it versus relying on "technology" to make up for your shortcomings in practice, skill, and knowledge.

“And that's the most horrible thing about censorship: To avoid falling afoul of the censors, we question ourselves and censor ourselves and make a big deal out of things in our heads. We do the work of the control freaks for them, out of a desire to avoid them.” 
― Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt

#4 Live Oak

Live Oak

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Squirrel hunting with dogs
    Shooting just about anything
    Time with the Family

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

We get sold on a lot of stuff we do not really need! Variable power scopes are one of them. There are getting to be few choices in fixed power any more.  I usually set mine to the highest power to sight it in for the resolution then crank it down to 4-6 for hunting. Lots of time, on little targets far away, I will crank it up. Unless I am really supported hunting, higher powers show how much I am shaking!! Lower power does increase the light transmition. After using an EOTech and a little red dot on a handgun at feeder distance I will crank my "big boys" down to 2-3.  Pigs die!!! I just wish I could still see open sights! MilDots only work at a set power, thats why the Military goes a 10X. One mildot scope I have is correct at 14X but the scope tops out at 22X. That will confuse things!!  I could go with a 10X and 50 yrd to infinity parallax but US Optics are some out of my price range! He He

#5 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, church, and grandkids.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I second what the rest have said.  Mine stays at 6X year-round.  That wouldn't have worked for me when hunting East Texas in my previous life, but here in Central Texas it works.  I use the binos for horn-counting, etc. if I need more magnification.  I've had a couple of cheaper scopes that changed point of impact with change of power, so I am inherently reluctant to do so even with my today scopes.  I would be completely happy with what you are contemplating, especially since it is a Leupold.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Patrick Henry meant to say: "Give me Liberty or give me Democrats".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users