5 replies to this topic

#1 Capt. John

Capt. John

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Well for quite a while now my daughter has been very ill.  Stomach bug, ear infection, siezures worse than normal.  This winter has been hard on her.  Her nursing has been horrible since we moved as well so I have been filling a lot of shifts, day and night.  Well, I have had an open invite from my friend  in Mason to come out calling with him.  I went out Weds night after the kids went to bed for a quick over night trip.  As I was driving up his driveway a fox crossed in front of me about 100 yards from his house.  I ran in and grabbed him and a flashlight and we went back out with some calls and my 22 mag.  We called from his driveway for 30 seconds and that fox came right out in the pasture 50 yards out.  I smoked him and he rolled around, got up and ran off..............We never found him...  We then loaded up and went to a ranch he has permission to call on.  Our second set we were a few minutes in when I turned around and made a sweep with my kill light behind the truck.  There was a grey fox 5 feet off the back bumper looking up at me!  I pulled up and he took off.  I was quicker than him and rolled him at about 15 yards.  I love my kill light!  It went dry after that stand so we called it a night after 12.  I had the option to sleep or get up at dawn and see if any ducks show up at my honey hole.  I opted for ducks!  I scrounged under my truck seats and found PLENTY of steel 4's.  I grabbed a shotgun and watched the sun come up over the pond.  Before legal I had ducks dropping in.  This is a large pond so the ducks in the middle were safe Earl was at home.  A few made it to close to the bank and I pulled out a nice ringneck drake and my best ever greenwing teal.  I only had time to hunt for an hour because duty called at home but I was very happy with how it turned out.  It only took 12 hours to recharge my batteries!  By yesterday afternoon I was back to it but with a smile! 

100_0634_zpsc49ecbef.jpg

100_0637_zpsf22dc953.jpg

100_0638_zps778b45db.jpg

John

#2 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,317 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I am glad you got to get to do some hunting!

Congrats,

Bob :P

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

PosseAvatar100.jpgnra2.gifTSRA-life-120.gifGadsden.gif

Prescription Assistance in USA:  http://www.lsrxcare....ex.cfm?id=71796

#3 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, church, and grandkids.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Sorry to hear your daughter is still not doing well, but glad you got in a good hunt.  Sometimes your mind just needs a rest.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Patrick Henry meant to say: "Give me Liberty or give me Democrats".

#4 fitz

fitz

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

First, sorry to hear your daughter is having a tough time of it. She is lucky to have a devoted father like you.

Nice job on the fox and ducks. For me, a green wing drake ranks right up there with woodies, pintails, and widgeons when it comes to beautiful birds. Now you just need to get the fox mounted with the teal in its mouth!

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, most any other outdoor activity.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Great you got out to go do some hunting . Those gGreen Wings are an awesome bird .  Still praying for all of you !!

Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#6 Slew

Slew

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your daughter not doing well.  Glad you got to get out a little anyhow!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users