Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Squirrel hunting with dogs
    Shooting just about anything
    Time with the Family

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have been thinking about getting another squirrel dog so have been watching SDC and another site. Is it illegal to raise OMCs or Fiests in my part of Texas or at least close? Shipping is out of questioin, I have already been that route. I kind like to see how they are raised, I changed my mind on a couple after I saw how they were raised. Might be time to just get out of it. I do not like to have a dog in the yard that does nothing but convert dog food, I have never had a "truck dog" that worked out well. Maybe I will write Nobama, he will fix it!!!

#2 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Any and every kind of hunting and fishing that can be done in the Great State of Texas and surrounding continent, Trapping, Oilfield, welding, fly-tying, fly fishing.
  • Location:Silsbee, Spurger, and Groesbeck, TX and Eagle Rock, MO!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

I've never heard of it being illegal to raise a squirrel dog. I have no idea why it would be. If you're looking for a good dog I might be able to point you in the right direction.
We Americans got so tired of being thought of as dumb by the rest of the world that we went to the polls and removed all doubt!!

Silsbee, TX... Spurger, TX... Groesbeck, TX... Eagle Rock, MO!

#3 Live Oak

Live Oak

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
    Time with the Family

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

I know it is not, just seems like it when everything on Squirrel Dog Central is at least 5 1/2 hrs drive one way!!! I have logged too many miles and spent too much money only for both good ones I have had were accidents, close and free!!! Lost them both young to flukes! You got ideas? PM me, please.

#4 DRR

DRR

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Post-Production Audio Engineering, Foley, Writing and Playing Music

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I found a great Catahoula at the Gonzalez Animal shelter. I don't know if there are any fiests around, but I'd check pet finder. As long as you get them young, they should be good hunting dogs. You can go by and check them out before you adopt, too.

#5 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Any and every kind of hunting and fishing that can be done in the Great State of Texas and surrounding continent, Trapping, Oilfield, welding, fly-tying, fly fishing.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

What breed are you looking for? I've got the best of the best fiest and the best of the best Black Mouth Cur and the best Plott hound at my house right now. Not trying to sell them or make money off them but you're welcome to use them as a stud free of charge.
We Americans got so tired of being thought of as dumb by the rest of the world that we went to the polls and removed all doubt!!

#6 Live Oak

Live Oak

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
    Time with the Family

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Love those BMCs. Unless you go with the Lander strain they probably will not tree. Oh, how I have tried and I have had more than my share of dogs! There is just nothing around here close. I am dogless right now. Economics 101: Keep squirrels out of a friend's pecan bottom starts out in the red and does not get better!! He He

#7 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

My two BMCs will tree. One of them I bring hunting when I bring my rat terrier. He won't mess with squirrels when I have him with the hog dogs though. If he sees one he will look at me like he asking if its ok to tree it and I'll tell him no. My other BMC Cooper has treed coons and squirrels and I never taught him to. I never shoot them though cause I like him as a hog dog.

#8 kitty

kitty

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I taught my great dane as a squirrel dog. It's actually pretty fun  :biggrin: Spent a lot of fun afternoons teaching him and laughing a lot only to find out it's illegal to hunt squirrels in alaska with dogs.... LAME

Is Make-up considered camo???

#9 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Why in the world would they make it illegal to hunt squirrels with a dog?

#10 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Live Oak, did you ever find a dog? My older BMC was out in the woods all night treeing something. When I went out this morning he was missing half his ear.

#11 kitty

kitty

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Not sure why they say no dogs but I think it has to do with people using them to hunt and track game up here. That's a big no no up here. 

Is Make-up considered camo???

#12 Live Oak

Live Oak

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
    Time with the Family

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

I just gave up on finding another tree dog. I went to too much work and then lost two goods to hard luck! I got two young dogs, they are mostly good at converting dog food! They were supposed to be BMCs, my Son-in-Law picked them up for me, I just needed an excuse to visit my Granddaughters! He! He! One looks more like a buckskin Blue Lacy. The other is short legged and fat, not going to be much but a yard dog! I have had dogs chew on a plastic bucket before but these two pups completely ate one! I can understand packing around and chewing on wood but metal? If they can find a piece of metal they can carry around they do!

#13 AR-Patriot

AR-Patriot

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing,
    shooting,
    reloading,
    hunting,
    archery,
    welding,
    my God and my Country,
    not neccessarily in that order.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Maybe they got an Iron defieciency?

I'm sorry.

Patriot

AR-Patriot
"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,Must be replenished by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants"-Thomas Jefferson

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,and may posterity forget you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it,Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me,give me Liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry

"Now is the time for all good men to stand together,lest we fall seperately,like the hay before the scythe"-AR-Patriot 2013

MOLON LABE!

Cowboy Cuts Custom Metal Cutting
http://www.siteswelding.webs.com/

#14 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, church, and grandkids.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

I can understand packing around and chewing on wood but metal? If they can find a piece of metal they can carry around they do!

That's a new breed called Ferrous Hounds.  If you ever are on the trail of a mechanical hog, they are truly wonderful!!!

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Patrick Henry meant to say: "Give me Liberty or give me Democrats".

#15 Live Oak

Live Oak

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
    Time with the Family

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think they are just stupid!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic