• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, church, and grandkids.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

In the mail today I received a packet that purports to be from the NRA, containing a DVD entitled: Advanced Personal Defense: Combat Focus Shooting and Home Defense Tips.
I haven't taken it out of it's case yet, but apparently if you keep it you have to send "them" $12.95, and this apparently signs you up for a series of these things that I suppose you keep paying for. If you don't want it, you are supposed to send it back , following certain directions given, so as not to be charged for it. The return address is: Product Programs
PO Box 426
Manchester, PA 17345-9981

If you want to keep it, your check is to be made payable to NRA-video and mailed to a separate address.
I have not seen this ploy used in years for merchandising something, and I am a little surprised that NRA is a part of this. I don't like being sent something that I didn't order, and be told that I need to send it or a check back. I think mine is going in the trash (unless it happens to be extremely good), but under no circumstances am I going to send it back, or send them a check. I was just wondering if this has happened to any of you other NRA members yet?
All generalizations are false, including this one.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Patrick Henry meant to say: "Give me Liberty or give me Democrats".

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, most any other outdoor activity.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Your right , it use to be a big ploy by book companies . I had one send me a childs book when my daughter was in College . I called them and they tried to convince me I had ordered it . I told them I am contacting the AG Officer , along with the Post Office , never heard back from them . You do not have to pay for anything unsolicited . I doubt the NRA has anything to do with this , but I'd sure call and let them know what is going on !!
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#3 GonHuntin

GonHuntin

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Oh, NRA does have something to do with this........how do you think they got your address info??

NRA authorizes this company to send out these products and NRA receives a small part of the proceeds.......I received one of the DVDs earlier this year, I did not send it back and did not pay for it....they sent me several "reminders" to either pay or return it........if they want it back, they are welcome to come and get it, but there will be a "handling charge" for my trouble!! :D

Best way to break them of this nonsense is to keep the video and tell them to pound sand!! If enough people did this, they would stop.

Believe what politicians DO............NOT what they SAY!!!!

#4 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

GH, that is exactly what I plan to do. It just troubles me that the NRA would be complicit in this. I probably won't call, as Bennie suggested, but if I can find a spot on their website to do so, I will write them a complaint letter. I don't like letting something like this go unanswered. I know it will probably get deep-sixed, but at least I will have tried, and will save the email for future references if they contact me again.

#5 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,264 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Let's not assume the NRA is connected in any way until we know for sure.............

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

PosseAvatar100.jpgnra2.gifTSRA-life-120.gifGadsden.gif

Prescription Assistance in USA:  http://www.lsrxcare....ex.cfm?id=71796

#6 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Bob,

The NRA (or more specifically NRA-video) is who the check is to be made out to, and the NRA logo is all over the mail-out, unless a fast one is being pulled by some minor difference in the logo or seal. I sure looks like it comes from them, or at least is endorsed by them.
The address for mailing in the check, if so "desired", is: NRA CS
PO Box 1592
Minneapolis, MN 55440
The customer service number provided is: 1-888-695-4868.
The Seal says: National Rifle Association of America, and inside the seal, under the eagle and guns is: "Incorporated 1871". It sure looks like the NRA.

#7 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,264 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Let us know for sure what you find out. NRA-Video mailed to another address is not a check to the NRA.

#8 SHOOTER

SHOOTER

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

You can make your own determiantion, but this is what i found.

If you do a search on Google for NRA CS the first link that comes back.
https://www.nravideo...wojydjhtbgqnq45))/RiflemanOrder.aspx
The address is listed at the bottom of the description of the link on the google search. Same as posted by TOP. Also the address is listed at the bottom of the web page.

If you click on the privacy policy on the page, this is what come back.
https://www.nravideo...wojydjhtbgqnq45))/Privacy.html

For some reason, when you copy and paste the links, it will not copy the last part and it makes the links become invalid.

So your own search.

Privacy Policy

This website is property of TN Marketing L.L.C. The American Hunter Video Collection, American Rifleman
Video Collection and the Personal Firearm Defense DVD Series are NationalRifle Association programs,
officially licensed to TN Marketing L.L.C. for the purposes of marketing and distribution.

This Privacy Policy may be modified from time to time; the date of the most recent revisions will appear on this page, so check
back often. Continued access of website by you will constitute your acceptance of any changes or revisions to the Privacy Policy.

Information Collected

We collect personally identifiable information with your specific knowledge and consent and use this information to provide you with the
product you have requested. We may use your e-mail address to send you a confirmation notice and your mailing address to send you your product. Persons who supply us with their telephone numbers may receive telephone contact from us with information regarding orders they
have placed online.

Information Usage

TN Marketing L.L.C. uses your personally identifiable information to provide you with products and services you have requested. Following are descriptions of how we use your information.

Service Providers
TN Marketing L.L.C. contracts with other companies to provide certain services on our behalf, including credit card processing, shipping, e-mail distribution, and promotions management. We provide these companies only with the information they need to perform their services, and they are permitted to use the information only for that specific purpose or as required by law, unless any additional use or sharing of the information is separately permitted under another provision of this Privacy Policy.

Promotional Uses
TN Marketing L.L.C. may use your personally identifiable information to provide you with promotional information about activities, services and products offered by us or selected third parties, whose products or services are complementary to what we sell. We do not share or sell your email address to any third-party. If you would like us to stop sending promotional communications to you by mail, e-mail or telephone, please send us a letter as explained in the section entitled “Your Choices.”

Sharing with Other Companies
TN Marketing L.L.C. may share information with carefully selected vendors, business partners and other organizations. These companies and organizations may use the information we share to provide special opportunities and offers to you.
If you provide us with your postal address, we may include that address in postal address lists that we sell or rent to third parties. However, we will not share your e-mail address with third parties for promotional purposes unless you consent to such sharing by affirmatively agreeing to it. If you would like us to stop including your postal address in such lists please send us a letter as explained in the section entitled “Your Choices.” If we receive such a letter from you, we will act as promptly as possible to remove your postal address from future postal address lists that we sell or rent to third parties.

Legal Purposes; Business Transactions
TN Marketing L.L.C. may disclose any user or customer information, including personally identifiable information, when we believe that doing so is required by law; may be necessary to protect the property, rights, or safety of ourselves, visitors to our websites, or other persons; or will help to enforce any terms of use or contest, sweepstakes, promotions, games or other rules. It may also be necessary to disclose our customers' personally identifiable information to third parties, such as credit card companies, to help resolve disputes that arise in the ordinary course of business. TN Marketing L.L.C. may also transfer user or customer information, including personally identifiable information, in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale.

Credit Card Security

TN Marketing L.L.C. uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology for all online transaction, which encrypts sensitive information you input before it is sent over the Internet. We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card number when confirming an order. However, your entire credit card number is transmitted to the appropriate credit card company during order processing. Orders placed on this website will appear on your credit card statement as Product Programs.

Your Choices

Receiving promotional communications from TN Marketing is optional. If you do not wish to receive promotional communications from TN Marketing, or our business partners, please email or write us at the address below.

It is also optional to allow us to share your personally identifiable information with selected reputable third parties so that they can provide you with promotional communications. If you do not wish us to do so, please email or write to us at the address below.

You may also use this address and email address to request us to update or change any of your personally identifiable information or contact us regarding privacy policy concerns or questions.

Privacy Policy Coordinator
TN Marketing LLC
Two Carlson Parkway
Suite 320
Plymouth, MN 55447

STAPROSTAFF_zps0d1868d7.gif                arrow_zps1f1b36c3.gif
0e14a491-01e3-4d4f-a3db-b876ce188a86_zps

http://www.southtexasarms.net

Store....   http://www.store.southtexasarms.net

usflag.gif  17d1bd8c-faed-47be-a9b0-2a0aa461c753_zps  texas.gif

#9 2 Mag Sneed

2 Mag Sneed

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Interests:Jesus
    Family
    Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

The North American Hunting Club does the same stuff... And they hound you until you pay for it... even after sending it back. I've talked to their CS several times, and told them to remove me from the list of calendars, dvds, and such, unless I order it directly from them. They're job is to provide a service of protection in the form of spreading the word about what gun ownership is, programs sponsoring responsible ownership through literature and hunting practices.... not marketing gimmick products to me that I'm not signed up for.

#10 GonHuntin

GonHuntin

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Bob

This is just like many of the calls you get from various fire/police/fop dept "organizations" asking for donations........it's not the fire/police/fop doing the fund raising, but they allow the companies doing the fundraising to use their names and the departments receive a portion of the money collected.

The NRA has been dong this for many years, it is nothing new.

#11 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,264 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

This is not the NRA. The check does not go to the NRA. This company paid to license some products. They are not doing so in a ethical manner. You are not obligated to return or pay for unsolicited merchandise.

#12 GonHuntin

GonHuntin

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I explained how this works in my post above.........you can believe it or not, but ask yourself, how does the outfit sending the DVD get NRA members addresses if the NRA is not a party to it??

#13 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,264 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

It is not believe or not believe. Apples and oranges. It is not the NRA doing the mailing of the unsolicited products and the money from this is not going to the NRA. Yes, the NRA sells mailing lists like any large organization according the their various privacy policies.

#14 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,264 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

I am sure Old Pro will let us know what the NRA tells him when he calls them.

#15 GonHuntin

GonHuntin

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

I don't really need to wait for his report.......I have the video in my hands.......it says right on the front cover,

American Rifleman
Video Collection
Presents

The video is put out by the "Personal Defense Network"

On the back of the case you will find this:

"NRA Member Dues or contributions have not been used for this promotion, program or any other expenses."

It is part of the NRA video collection and Rob Pincus is the host, he is also the host on "The Personal Defense DVD Series" which can be purchased here:

https://www.nravideo...m/PFDOffer.aspx

The NRA logo appeared on the packaging.

Let's do the math

1. It came in packaging featuring the copyrighted NRA logo

2. The front cover features the copyrighted by the NRA "American Rifleman" title

3. The series is available from the NRA video collection website.

You are correct that NRA is not mailing these videos out to the membership, however, they are allowing a third party company to do it with their blessing. I believe you are mistaken if you think they do not receive funds from this program. There is NO WAY the NRA would allow the use of their copyrighted material and member info unless they were receiving funds for its use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users