#1 Call Killer

Call Killer

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, good Cigars, and the great Outdoors

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

I live on a working Dairy/Beef operation, and we end up with a decent pile of horns each year. My question is this: How do I go about preping these "empties" for use as call material? I would like to have a few howlers made, at some point, for a few buddies and I. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Calvin
Size doesn't matter, placement does.

"Put the Wet stuff on the Red stuff!"

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."
George W. Bush

WELLS PUMPS, LLC

In GOD we Trust!

#2 AR-Patriot

AR-Patriot

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing,
    shooting,
    reloading,
    hunting,
    archery,
    welding,
    my God and my Country,
    not neccessarily in that order.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Howdy Calvin,

Not an expert,but I don't think you really have to do anything with them,other that a little cleaning,and make sure they are dry. The hard part is making the reed /mouth piece,but I don't think it is overly complicated,just tricky to get it adjusted to the right sound.you might be able to get one of the makers on the board to do a little barter -x no of Horns for finished Howlers?

Patriot

AR-Patriot
"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,Must be replenished by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants"-Thomas Jefferson

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,and may posterity forget you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it,Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me,give me Liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry

"Now is the time for all good men to stand together,lest we fall seperately,like the hay before the scythe"-AR-Patriot 2013

MOLON LABE!

Cowboy Cuts Custom Metal Cutting
http://www.siteswelding.webs.com/

#3 Weasel

Weasel

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Hunting all game and predators, fishing and being outside.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

If the core is still in them they need to be boiled until the core is loose enough to remove. Depending on the condition of the horn they may need to be scraped, but you can usually sand them smooth. Start with a course grit and sand using finer grits until you get the finish you are looking for. If you want to buff them to a high polish sand to at least 600 grit. Scotchbrite pads work well for cleaning out the inside of the horn. Let the horn dry well and seal the inside with laquer.

weaselbrandgamecalls

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users