• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck S

Chuck S

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Experimental Aircraft, RV camping, 4x4 off road exploring. Motorcycle riding.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

http://www.thepigsit...lean-hog-prices

Here is a current article I found about the price of farm raised slaughter hogs. They are running about $61.99 per hundred weight (.62 cents pound) for a farm raised hog at 170-190 pounds. So how much is a feral hog really worth? Why pay $300 to kill a feral hog when you can buy a packaged hog from a meat processor or farmer for less and be absolutely positive of the quality of meat, free of disease and parasites. From everything I have seen or heard about the distructive nature, nuisence and health risk to domestic livestock on National Geographic, Hogs Gone Wild tv show, news stories and documentaries, feral hogs have the same guality and value as cockroaches and rats.

I bring this up because this is the second time my wife and I have made a trip to Texas in the hopes of being able to hunt some hogs. It is also the second time that the only way you can do any hog hunting is by paying either by the day, weight, number or all of the above. Every one talks about the damages and problems of feral hogs, but no one wants any volunteer help in controlling them and eliminating a few. They are more like a protect Texas asset than a major plague that is taking over.

We have been in San Angelo for a week now, and everyone I have talked to at sporting goods store and converastions in general all say there are some hogs in the area. One man in Ballinger told me he had two in his yard in Rowena and the city has killed some in town. But when I asked where I could gop to hunt some or who I could talk to, he did not know of anyone.

Hopefully our opprotunities will change when we get to Fredericksburg and San Antonio next week.
Chuck S

God has a Plan;
Jeremiah 29:11

#2 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,331 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, all the shooting sports. Just about anything that goes bang is of interest!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

Chuck, what you're running in to is the typical Texas landowner's cautious approach in dealing with someone they don't know or someone that they haven't been introduced to by a close friend or relative. Around here, even if they lease hunting rights to their property, they'll insist on a very complete, very detailed set of references that they will check very closely! It all stems from a history of "folks from the big cities" coming in for weekend hunts and shooting everything that moves or crawls upon the land, drinking themselves into a stupor, chopping down oak trees, running their RV's all over the place (including the stock tanks) and leaving the place a total mess. They'd rather deal with the feral hog problems than chance having someone they don't know shoot one of their angus or their prize meat or hair goats, or leave their gates open, or just generally be bad hombres while on their place.

It's a miserable situation, and totally unfair to the responsible hunter, but it's a fact that you'll have to deal with wherever you go in Central and West Texas, for sure, and probably that part of Texas which lies east of I-35.

And the last, but very real problem you face is caused by the litigious society in which we live. A person goes hog hunting on your land, falls and hurts himself, and files suit against you, the land owner! Or his kid turns his ATV over and is crippled for life, and you, the landowner, get to pay for all his medical bills and then support for the rest of his life. Or the hunter, after a half bottle of Jack Daniels down the hatch, shoots himself and his widow takes you, the land owner, to court! It's crazy, but it's reality nowadays.
VETUSTIOR HUMO

#3 BJC

BJC

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

WELL SAID MIKEL 2 years ago when my 85 yo DAD was checking his cows he found his horse shot and dead between my grandfather,s house and the old barn,he still rode him but like a lot of old farm places in PARKER CO.the old house is next to the county road,so it,s eazy hunting for a,,holess to not be welcome on a place to hunt..its sad but true..

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,399 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, most any other outdoor activity.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

I've had at least 1 steer about 500 lbs shot that I know of , have found others dead , but wasn't sure of their demize ! I am real cautious of who I even let bird hunt on my place ! Chuck , most of us also pay for lease land to hunt , not much good huntable public land in Texas and most of the leasors don't want unpaid hunters to hunt their place . If you relate meat prices , your better off just buying the meat , it is about the hunt , not the meat !!
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#5 Live Oak

Live Oak

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Squirrel hunting with dogs
    Shooting just about anything
    Time with the Family

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

All the talk about "pig" problems makes great news, but that is just not reality! Yes they are a problem but they are also a an asset. Deer hunting is only two months, pigs go the next ten months! I have said it before they are only here because we want them here! As long as people will pay money to hunt them, someone will make sure they are there to kill! When deer were just sausage filler there were not a lot of deer! When we decided we wanted lots of deer around there are lots of deer around. If a lot of people will start shooting the females all year long they will go away! When I started popping caps on sows I saw a serious decine in the number of pictures on the game cam. I know that with everybody feeding they are scattered now but lately the faces have not changed. Remember at $40 a day to hunt doves, the average deer lease going for $2000, for the right price it is worth somebody's time to put you on pigs! Even if they have to buy some to put you on. I have even seen ads for "varmint hunts". Look up the defination of Varmint! Hunting is a business here in Texas, any kind of hunting! I would not be surprised if someone is raising feral pigs to stock, like they raise deer!
I am off my soap box now!

#6 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,331 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, all the shooting sports. Just about anything that goes bang is of interest!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Live Oak, I must respectfully disagree with your assessment that the "hog problem is not reality." I have friends who are trying to eke out a living in this hard scrabble land called Central Texas, and they would hasten to assure you that feral hogs are a REAL problem. They plant their peanuts, water them, fertilize them, nurse them along as best they can, and come out one morning to find 2 acres of their crop in ruins. The feral hogs move in and literally go up and down the rows, kicking the plants out and eating them. A truck farmer buddy grows Mason County canteloupe on his land, and twice in the last 4 years, the hogs have ruined his crops.

I would venture to say that, in my little corner of the world, anyone caught importing, breeding, and/or releasing hogs into the wild would probably face some very irate farmers who think that the hog problem is reality, certainly in their world.

I urge you to go to the main forum on Wild Boar & Javelina Hunting and read some of the information that the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife has produced. Also, the Texas Extension agents in many of the counties around here hold frequent "how to cope" meetings for land owners.

They are a REAL problem, and not just in Texas. Many wildlife biologists are saying that they're the biggest single threat to the ecological balance of things since the imported red ant.
VETUSTIOR HUMO

#7 kidd

kidd

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

i highly disagree with live oak also i see nothin good about the wild hogs i cant kill enuff of them they have totally destroyed 2 of my hay feilds to where i only run cows on them now if i want to cut them again i am goin to have to plow the feilds get the holes all filled & level & resprig it ...i see nothing good out of that

#8 Chuck S

Chuck S

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Experimental Aircraft, RV camping, 4x4 off road exploring. Motorcycle riding.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Mikel, I have hunted "private" lands most of my life in places like Mighigan, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, New Mexico and Colorado. Texas is by far the only place I have ever been that would rather protect and nourish a problem than to support or help with a solution. Do you think Texas is the only place that has lost a cow or a horse to a hunter? I have even heard the story from a Wyoming Game and Fish officer about two guys from Pennslyvania or Ohio who hauled a mule into a check point believing they had killed a cow elk. Fortunately for me, I am smart enough to be able to tell the difference between a hog, cow, horse, chicken and elephant ............... FROM A DISTANCE. And through a scope too.

Live Oak is right on the money for what I am finding out. As long as there is money to be made off this "real problem" it is not a problem.

I am not opposed to paying an access fee to hunt. But when it comes to hundreds of dollars it is ridiculous. West Texas hogs are now starting to migrate into eastern New Mexico. We even have some in the mountains east of Alamogordo where I live.

Even the state of Texas has their hand out wanting $350 for a non resident license to hunt hogs and preditors. New Mexico only requires a $30.00 habitat stamp.

We brought everything we might need to harvest a few hogs. There is nothing the farmer can offer that we do not already have except access. We are even towing a Jeep. I told the "guides" and people advertising on Craigs list that I have talked to that all we are interested in is something to do. I am ok with killing the biggest and rankest ones I can find just for the photograph and bragging rights. That is still at least $150 just to kill it and leave it lay. If i am going to throw away $150.00 I'll do it in a homeless shelter or something to help kids and not some land owners pocket.

The ideal scenero for me is for my wife and I to be able to kill as many as possible as fast as possible with out worrying about the guy with the cash register hitting the wrong key. K-ching K-ching with every ounce of worthless critter falling dead and a problem being removed. When you go fishing, you don't stop because you caught one fish. You catch as many as possible. Then you go back for more. And fish aren't ruining crops and gardens.

I have been posting on the forum for several weeks hoping someone would offer to point me in the right direction. I have even posted our agenda and locations. Still nothing useful. I thought someone on the forum would of invited me to come hunt some hogs. You would think that after loosing acres of peanuts and hay fields, they would be interested in the free help.

One of the things I was hoping to be able to do on this trip was find some good hunting grounds for when my Son-in-law and 10 year old grand daughter come to visit next summer. She has already taken two mule bucks and a turkey, all from private land in South Dakota and Iowa. No stock tanks were damaged, livestock injured, stressed or killed, no whoopie parties or beer keggers occured during these events. My son in law has been scoutng areas of Kansas and Missouri for options.

Maybe people would look at it differently if Texas would stop producing documentaries about the "hog problem" and how they cannot keep up with it and just list them as a "protect species" instead.
Chuck S

God has a Plan;

#9 HIGH PLAINS

HIGH PLAINS

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

Chuck,
My son-in-law was County Agent in Aspermont, Stonewall County, about sixty miles north of Abilene. He said there were people around there who made a living trapping the feral hogs feeding out those they could and selling them on the open market. Granted there are some animal health issues, some animals will not adjust to domestication, and boars are generally a lost cause, but those trappers are already ahead of you in thinning out their area for people who know them and have a business relationship with them.
I don't know about other areas but that is one more problem for you getting your chance.

HP :lol:
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. Daniel Boone

Aging is mandatory.
Wisdom and maturity are optional.

#10 fish4food

fish4food

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:hunting; deer, predators, dove, small game
    fishing; saltwater big 3
    playing baseball

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

The 4 years I was in college, I'd work both summer and winter breaks at an Academy in the hunting and fishing department. I probably had 100-150 people come in and complain about hogs this and that. They'd ask me what I thought they could do to get rid of em. I'd reply to give me permission to hunt em and I'd pressure em enough that they wouldn't come around as often. In those 4 years, I got permission to hunt 3 places, 2 of which I still do.

Where I work at now, I hear the same thing about hogs this and that but when I ask for permission, even telling the landowner that I'll pay to hog hunt the place, I've only gotten permission on 1 place.

"It only take 1 bad apple to spoil a bushell."

I can understand the liability issue. I know I don't ever want to be a landowner going to court over a hunter I gave permission to hunt injuring himself and blaming me for it.

If you were to make it down this way, and I was off, I'd be willing to take you walking in the woods.

Hopefully my next job opens some doors for me as far as access to hog hunting places.

#11 BJC

BJC

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

CHUCK S just to show you that all TEXAS folks r not bad ,u and yours r welcome 2 hunt at my place.HOGS ARE LIKE SOME FREINDS.some time you see them,some time you don,t.BJC 8172911963..

#12 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,399 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, most any other outdoor activity.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Chuck to tell you the truth it urks me that you try and make people feel bad because they don't invite you to hunt. As of now with your attitude I wouldn't for sure , but that is just me !! someone else might beg you a hunt !!
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#13 BJC

BJC

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hey BENNIE Just read your report.... TELL HIM my phone # br 549.

#14 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,331 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

ChuckS, I was merely trying to tell you what I perceive to be the land owners side of the feral hog story, based on living here amongst them for the last 17 years. If you think that it's a case of the State of Texas and Texas land owners being greedy, that's certainly your call and your opinion, to which you are most assuredly welcome. As a native Texan and land owner, I just see the situation differently; I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying that I don't see it the way you do.
VETUSTIOR HUMO

#15 Chuck S

Chuck S

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

I don't mean to make anyone seem to look bad over this. What I am sharing is nothing more than what I am learning on this trip and some of it is very disappointing. Granted it is not all that pleasant. If it makes any one feel bad then maybe there is some truth to what I am saying. I'm sorry if I made you look at something you did not like. Like Fish4Food said, it is only a problem until you offer to help.

BJC, thanks for the offer but then I also saw your BR549. That's ok. Were not coming that way anyhow.

Bennie, I was not EXPECTING any one to invite me to hunt, but I was hoping. I have been a member of this forum for a few years and I've even been to one rendezvous. Wishful thinking on my part. I do know that when your in my area and up to the trip, get a hold of me and were going hunting. We don't have hogs especially but we do have some excellant calling areas and I have the 4WD's to get us there. I do know of some promising mountain areas to try to find hogs though.
Chuck S

God has a Plan;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users