708 replies to this topic

#1 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,963 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

Welcome to the Posse! Please take a minute and tell us a little bit about yourself and introduce yourself to the members.

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

PosseAvatar100.jpgnra2.gifTSRA-life-120.gifGadsden.gif

Prescription Assistance in USA:  http://www.lsrxcare....ex.cfm?id=71796

#2 Texas10X

Texas10X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, predator and varmint hunting, fishing, fly tying...

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hello, everyone!

You already know me as Mrs. Ranchdog. While I am still Mrs. Ranchdog, and I've been reading this forum for a long time, I finally decided to join the forum with my own screen name, Texas10X.

I'm retired now and loving it! I enjoy shooting, hunting, fishing, kayaking, riding our Ranger, working on our ranch, sporting clays, archery, camping & RVing, photography, Labrador Retrievers, horses, outdoor and greenhouse gardening, the stock market, golf, darts, snowmobiling, reading, cooking, crossword puzzles, woodworking, bowling, badminton, volleyball, home improvement, needlecrafts, painting, writing and almost anything outdoors. I enjoy learning and doing new things, especially with Ranchdog!

I'm really looking forward to the Posse Pronghorn hunt at the end of September!

Linda

IN GOD WE TRUST

Happiness is shooting, hunting, fishing and doing anything else with your best friend (husband)!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

NRA Benefactor Member

#3 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,963 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hey Linda,

Good choice!! I can't wait for the pronghorn hunt either!

#4 Buzzard

Buzzard

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'm retired now and loving it! I enjoy shooting, hunting, fishing, kayaking, riding our Ranger, working on our ranch, sporting clays, archery, camping & RVing, photography, Labrador Retrievers, horses, outdoor and greenhouse gardening, the stock market, golf, darts, snowmobiling, reading, cooking, crossword puzzles, woodworking, bowling, badminton, volleyball, home improvement, needlecrafts, painting, writing and almost anything outdoors. I enjoy learning and doing new things, especially with Ranchdog!

Linda

RETIRED????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Ah Linda, what are you going to do with all that spare time??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Welcome to the Posse, girl! :) :) :)
The Buzzard of Oz

#5 airhog

airhog

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Interests:Yote hunting and knife making along side white water canoeing with a little fishing in between.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

I see Linda, you got tired of Ranchdog speaking for you all the time. My wife does all the speaking around our house and I just say Yes Maam. Glad you decided to join yourself. Welcome to the Posse. Take care of old Ranchdog and don't let him get into anything he can't or you can't get him out of. I started worrying about him when he started talking about blowguns. See ya around. Posted Image

TEXAS 10X IS UP AND RUNNING Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
Thomas Paine

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

#6 Texas10X

Texas10X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, Bob, Buzz and Airhog!

The blowguns are a blast, but seem to have taken second place to the kayaks for now. The hardest part is not enough time to do everything!!! Who knew I'd be so much busier in retirement!!! :)

IN GOD WE TRUST

Happiness is shooting, hunting, fishing and doing anything else with your best friend (husband)!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

NRA Benefactor Member

#7 Buzzard

Buzzard

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

I got into kayaks too... but my interest has waned a little since the day the dirty great big bull shark swam around my eight foot plastic fantastic! :o Guns are so much safer! ^_^ Thanks for the PM for Jacqui!
The Buzzard of Oz

#8 DRR

DRR

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Post-Production Audio Engineering, Foley, Writing and Playing Music

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Welcome Mrs. Ranchdog. My hardest decisions in my free time are whether to kayak-fish or go hunting so I feel your pain :biggrin: And I also spent most of my high school years practicing with a blowgun instead of doing homework :rolleyes: Maybe one day I will go kayak-fishing-hunting with a blowgun <_< Welcome aboard!

#9 roscogruen

roscogruen

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

All -
i'd like to start trapping coyote and badger and maybe fox. what are the basic steps so i can visualize a plan when i start reading up on the sport.

i trapped in boy scouts and as a kid, but nothing that required a permit, that i knew of. :) also, i'm not getting help from the ***'es at Gander Mtn nor can i find a local club.

do i just find a farmer with some badgers/coyotes, buy some coyote/badger traps and set them? i was thinking to put flags above the traps or near them as i do when snorkeling. to keep people away.

also, i'll want to wait until winter, correct? so they have a winter coat on.

i'll use the meat for another purpose. speaking of which, if anyone is selling a good vacuum sealer at a cheap price, please PM me.

Thanks!

(PM me if you like)

#10 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,963 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hey Rosco,

Welcome to the Posse! Make yourself at home. I would post your questions in the Trapping forum. We have some real pros there.

#11 Buzzard

Buzzard

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

G'day Rosco! Welcome to this great forum! Funny how many of us are former Scouts! But then, it's not so strange at all, I guess.
The Buzzard of Oz

#12 garytex

garytex

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

New Member Garytex.
I live in Austin, my family ranches near Falfurrias TX. My son (12 yrs.) and I occasionally trap with conibears and snare at the ranch and get skunks, coons, coyotes and occasionally a bobcat. We call some coyotes and bobcats. To paint an unvarnished picture, mostly the coyotes and bobcats outwit us, but we get a few. The main reason I joined the forum is that we are starting to go prairie dog shooting, with the main problem being finding a place to go shoot. A neighboring rancher had been to visit friends in Rawlins, WY, so we went there in August, 2011. Pretty thin pickings on the surrounding BLM (saw lots more antelope than PDs) until we paid a modest ($100/person/day) trespass fee to get on the Silver Spur ranch for the last two days of our trip. We mostly shot gophers in an un-watered improved pasture with .22 LR. We ranged some of the longer shots. By the end of the shoot, we were about 50% connecting between 200 and 235 yards, with a nice 10 mph full value wind. I haven't had that much fun with a .22 in a long time. What a hoot. In that range and beyond that the .17 HMR was also great fun to shoot, and we had what were basically NRA match rifles with slow (12") and medium (9") twist barrels in .223 built on AR platforms for intermediate ranges. We never found any huge towns, and frequently shot off the hood of the truck. Our longer range guns went mostly unused. But we had a great time, it was an adventure, and we got to actually shoot a quantity of ammunition through some of these guns we have spent so much time and energy building and developing loads for. We are looking for a place just the tiniest bit closer than 1296 miles, and I intend to spend some face time in West Texas, the Panhandle and Western OK looking for places and permission. Suggestions of basic areas ( not your honey hole, just things like "Hobbs is shot/plagued out, go look in Southwastern OK") would be greatly appreciated.
s/y Gary

#13 Buzzard

Buzzard

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

G'day Gary! Welcome to TPP! You're going to fit in just fine here! <_<

Rick
The Buzzard of Oz

#14 Texas10X

Texas10X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

Welcome, Rosco and Gary!

IN GOD WE TRUST

NRA Benefactor Member

#15 garytex

garytex

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

Hey Buzzard, what is the skinny on Donkey/'Roo culling in Australia? If you have already answered this question elsewhere just direct me to the thread.
Thank you for your kind welcome to the site.
s/y Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users