• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DRR

DRR

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Post-Production Audio Engineering, Foley, Writing and Playing Music

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

I am selling a gun to a friend of mine (finally getting ready to purchase an AR-10 <_<<_<<_<) and was wondering what the protocol is for selling one privately in Texas. I am looking up the law right now but I figured y'all probably had first hand experience here in TX, so I figured I'd ask. I am doing the background check, getting driver's license info and all that good stuff but was wondering if there was anything I should know that isn't specifically spelled out in the law. Thanks in advance!

#2 Live Oak

Live Oak

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Squirrel hunting with dogs
    Shooting just about anything
    Time with the Family

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

That's why the Gubberment hates private party gun exchanges. It is private and they can not keep track. I would mostly get a bill of sale. If the arm ends up in bad hands, at least you have something saying you sold it.

#3 jhop

jhop

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, varmint hunting

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Face to face transactions between private citizens are legal in Texas so long as it is not a Class III item such as a machine gun, suppressor, short barrel rifle, etc. These items required paperwork. Texas mandates you to not knowingly sell a firearm to someone whom cannot legally possess the firearm. The seller is not responsible to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the eligibilty of the purchaser. A Texas drivers licence is good enough. Some want to see a CHL. It's up to you as the seller as to what you require. Texas doesn't require you to keep a record of private firearms sales. However it's a good idea in case somewhere down the line the weapon in ends up in the wrong hands.

#4 DRR

DRR

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Post-Production Audio Engineering, Foley, Writing and Playing Music

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Cool, thanks y'all

#5 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Any and every kind of hunting and fishing that can be done in the Great State of Texas and surrounding continent, Trapping, Oilfield, welding, fly-tying, fly fishing.
  • Location:Silsbee, Spurger, and Groesbeck, TX and Eagle Rock, MO!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

It's perfectly legal but you can make it fun by meeting in a dark alley somewhere on the east side of Houston. Wear a trenchcoat and use quotes from the Godfather and an Italian accent. Bring along a couple of big guys and snap your fingers and make them open the gun case (preferably a violin case). Snap your fingers again when you get ready to go.
We Americans got so tired of being thought of as dumb by the rest of the world that we went to the polls and removed all doubt!!

Silsbee, TX... Spurger, TX... Groesbeck, TX... Eagle Rock, MO!

#6 DRR

DRR

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

HAHAHAHA! That would be hilarious and it may actually work out because I can tell him if he does anything illegal with my gun, he's going to have more to worry about than the police :angry::angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users