Photo

Can you legally own a used AT-4 Rocket Launcher?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Capt. John

Capt. John

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

One of my hobbies is to poke around pawn shops and second hand stores. Today burried in a pile of stuff a guy had for sale I found a used AT-4 US Rocket Launcher. As far as I know they are one time use launchers. This one has been shot so its non-working I assume. It was in good govt. issue shape. My question is this. 1. Are they legal to own? 2. Are they worth anything? 3. What is a good price if its legal? 4. Should I avoid that place like the plague now? It really threw me off that they had it. I was looking for a tool box for my truck and what do I find? A stinking rocket launcher! Thanks for any help in advance.
John

#2 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, all the shooting sports. Just about anything that goes bang is of interest!

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

I don't know the laws surrounding such a device, but my gut tells me that you don't want anything to do with a rocket launcher! Not in the current environment, with Feds just looking for reasons to bust folks. Getting crosswise with the BATF nowadays is not a good move.

Now, having said that, if the pawn broker will sell it to you and not make you fill out a Form 4473, there's no way the Feds can trace the device to you. But my personal opinion, as an FFL dealer, is that there is only downside risk for you by adding that device to your inventory of weapons!
VETUSTIOR HUMO

#3 Capt. John

Capt. John

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

Thanks Mike, the place that had this was a crap store in an area we lovingly call "The Cut" One of those places where you dont go after dark if you dont fit the local demographic. The gent I talked with only spoke Spanish so I'm sure its a cash deal, no names exchanged kind of place. They had other military stuff around to like old uniforms, gear, etc. It looks like someone got out of the Marines and sold a bunch of there old stuff to the store. I can only assume this was a trophy someone took home with them after shooting it for training.

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, most any other outdoor activity.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

I'm pretty sure your talking about a used LAW and as far as I know they are a one time use (was when I shot them) and legal to own (empty).
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#5 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, all the shooting sports. Just about anything that goes bang is of interest!

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

Definitely an LAW. The question is, does having it in your inventory of goodies make you a collector or a terrorist? Sure, it's been fired, but do you wish to explain to the nice folks, controlled by Eric Holder, and that incredibly inept president we have in place, that you were not the one who fired it? That it was just a trophy? A unique thingy to add to your collection? Those are questions only you can answer, Captain, but in this day and age, I'd stay so far away from it so far that no one could even SUGGEST that you'd laid a hand on it!
VETUSTIOR HUMO

#6 SHOOTER

SHOOTER

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

As far as I know, yes, they are legal to own under federal law as they do not fit the description of a firearm under 18USC CH44 921 or as a destructive device under 26USC CH53 5845.

I'm not sure about The Texas Code.

As of 4 days ago there was one for listed on GunsAmerica web site for sale. http://www.gunsameri...et_launcher.htm

#7 Capt. John

Capt. John

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

As confusing as it all sounds, this is not gonna be in my collection. I'm with you Mike, not worth the explanation. But it still begs the question, what kind of loads do you think are available for snow geese with that bugger?! Now that would be cool.

#8 Buzzard

Buzzard

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

Funnily enough, I can dimly remember that, after we had fired them, having to stomp on them and flatten them "to deny them to the enemy." Now I know they were resourceful little buggers and could probably find a hundred uses for them, but maybe the Army figured they could probably re-use them as a rocket launcher. After all, rockets aren't exactly rocket science... err... :rolleyes: They never seemed to have an RPG shortage though, so I doubt they would have bothered trying to reload an American launcher! Still, look how effectively they used captured U.S. 81mm mortar bombs in their 82mm tubes while their 82mm bombs couldn't be used in the American, ARVN, ROK, Thai & Aussie issue 81mm tubes.
The Buzzard of Oz

#9 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

Buzz, most times they use them to carry rice in. They can not be reloaded for a rocket. Can be used for a lot of other things.
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#10 redrider4life

redrider4life

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, hunting, fishing, guns,& knives

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

I would get it and build a spud gun inside it!! :)
The true test of character is not how much we know how to do,
But how we behave when we don't know what to do.

#11 Buzzard

Buzzard

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

Buzz, most times they use them to carry rice in. They can not be reloaded for a rocket. Can be used for a lot of other things.

True, but I would never put anything beyond their ingenuity! :angry: Look what they could do with our empty rat pack cans! we couldn't even find much use for them when they were full! :D :D :D
The Buzzard of Oz

#12 dogcatcher

dogcatcher

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

I have one, over the years I have dsplayed it at our local Vietnam vets reunions. I know several LEO's have seen it, I haven't had any problems. The most questions I get is "Where can I get one?" I look at it like the dummy grenades, for display purposes, and safe to play with.
Dogcatcher's Workshop-Custom Predator Calls & More
http://dogcatcher.we...edatorcalls.htm

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
"Call and they will come."

#13 jdickey

jdickey

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, photography, Bigfoot, and grand kids

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

I would get it and build a spud gun inside it!! :)

SLAM SOME IDAHO BAKERS IN THERE .... that would stir up deer camp for sure! ! ! :lol: :biggrin:
The only easy day was yesterday - U.S.N. SEALS
W's Backyard... Waco, TX
TSRA, NWTF, TexLa Research Group, BASS, BOONE & CROCKETT, TWA
Posted Imageretired

#14 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

fiber glass tube probably wouldn't work too well for a spud gun.
Hico, Texas

#15 redrider4life

redrider4life

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, hunting, fishing, guns,& knives

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Lets see the AT-4 is a 84mm caliber thats about 3.25 inches. So some 3 inch pvc should slide down the tube. Now the combustion chamber would have to hang out the end but if it was painted OD green it might not look out to out of place. <_<
The true test of character is not how much we know how to do,
But how we behave when we don't know what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users