Need advice on trapping bobcat, fox, coyotes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aggiepride5

aggiepride5

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

hey guys, I am needing some advice on how to start trapping some bobcats, fox, and Coyotes! I am not that new to calling but i am wanting to try something different and try to get good at trapping. I would like to know what kind of traps you guys recommend, what size, what type of bait.. ect..

Thanks, aggiepride5

#2 AR-Patriot

AR-Patriot

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing,
    shooting,
    reloading,
    hunting,
    archery,
    welding,
    my God and my Country,
    not neccessarily in that order.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

hey guys, I am needing some advice on how to start trapping some bobcats, fox, and Coyotes! I am not that new to calling but i am wanting to try something different and try to get good at trapping. I would like to know what kind of traps you guys recommend, what size, what type of bait.. ect..

Thanks, aggiepride5

Haven't trapped in years,but when I did I used Victor #1 1/2 for coons,and fox. #2's would be better for Bobcats as they are a little bigger and stronger than coons.As for bait,I have used sardines,cheap cat food,any thing with a strong odor that smells like food.The really critical part is your technique.wear latex gloves,have a scentless piece of plastic to kneel on,leave NO scent behind.spraying down with Scent Killer on shoes and clothes VERY helpful.I used to use Baking soda water to de-scent with.a home made sifter is a big help.You need to look around for books on trapping for equipment Ideas,as the sets for different animals are different.Example:you bury your trap on Ant hill for fox,and for coon you make a V with two logs,boards,etc. at the trunk of a Tree.place the trap near the trunk.this makes the coon walk into the v and increases the chance of the catch as he can't dig around as easily.I was told by Johnny Pickle,an old fur buyer where I grew up in Jonestown,Texas, that coons won't climb over something to get to food if there is any other way to get to it.this is how he told me to catch them when I was a Kid and I caught a bunch this way.But there are other ways to set also.On the downside,Traps were expensive 35 yrs. ago,and I got paid alot better for my furs back then.From what I've seen on fur prices,It's not economically feasible to try to trap for money.will take you forever to recoup your investment.Tons of other things you should know,but not room here.good luck,

Patriot
AR-Patriot
"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,Must be replenished by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants"-Thomas Jefferson

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,and may posterity forget you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it,Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me,give me Liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry

"Now is the time for all good men to stand together,lest we fall seperately,like the hay before the scythe"-AR-Patriot 2013

MOLON LABE!

Cowboy Cuts Custom Metal Cutting
http://www.siteswelding.webs.com/

#3 roscogruen

roscogruen

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:27 AM

Haven't trapped in years,but when I did I used Victor #1 1/2 for coons,and fox. #2's would be better for Bobcats as they are a little bigger and stronger than coons.As for bait,I have used sardines,cheap cat food,any thing with a strong odor that smells like food.The really critical part is your technique.wear latex gloves,have a scentless piece of plastic to kneel on,leave NO scent behind.spraying down with Scent Killer on shoes and clothes VERY helpful.I used to use Baking soda water to de-scent with.a home made sifter is a big help.You need to look around for books on trapping for equipment Ideas,as the sets for different animals are different.Example:you bury your trap on Ant hill for fox,and for coon you make a V with two logs,boards,etc. at the trunk of a Tree.place the trap near the trunk.this makes the coon walk into the v and increases the chance of the catch as he can't dig around as easily.I was told by Johnny Pickle,an old fur buyer where I grew up in Jonestown,Texas, that coons won't climb over something to get to food if there is any other way to get to it.this is how he told me to catch them when I was a Kid and I caught a bunch this way.But there are other ways to set also.On the downside,Traps were expensive 35 yrs. ago,and I got paid alot better for my furs back then.From what I've seen on fur prices,It's not economically feasible to try to trap for money.will take you forever to recoup your investment.Tons of other things you should know,but not room here.good luck,

Patriot

your advice seems sound. i'll try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users