#1 venatic

venatic

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Reloading, Bowhunting, Predator Hunting

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

Just got a new AR from Dedicated Technology last week and thought I would share a couple of pictures along with a quick story. I have a 6X45mm from Mike(DTech) and last fall I read where he was making a 6mm from the 6.8SPC case and was asking what kind of performance to expect from it. What he described seemed to be a cartridge between the 6X45mm and the .243WSSM that he also makes. Thinking that I would try the Fed's policy of spending my way out of debt I told him put me on the list.
It shows up with a set of Hornady dies and some 6.8SPC brass so I got to loading.... the process was simple really just lube the neck and run them thru the die... that's it.You do have to fire-form to form the 30 degree shoulder but my groups nor my speeds really changed from initial firing to the finished brass so you can expect good performance while forming brass.
Here is the rig.

Posted Image

Here is first victim shot Thursday night by moonlight.Load data: 29gr VV530/80gr Sierra Blitz/3265fps

Posted Image

#2 2 Mag Sneed

2 Mag Sneed

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
  • Interests:Jesus
    Family
    Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

How much does your rig weigh? Just curious because of the fluting job that Mike does is contrary to what Bill Wilson does with his fluting...

regardless, the fluting looks good and looks as if it's saving some weight. I am a 6.8 shooter, and would like to know more info about the DTI other than what Mike has on his website.

He sure has a following.... and a wait time to match. I'd like one of his uppers some day. Any other loads that you will use with this upper?

#3 redrider4life

redrider4life

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, hunting, fishing, guns,& knives

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Good looking rig. What twist are you running?
The true test of character is not how much we know how to do,
But how we behave when we don't know what to do.

#4 venatic

venatic

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

How much does your rig weigh? Just curious because of the fluting job that Mike does is contrary to what Bill Wilson does with his fluting...

regardless, the fluting looks good and looks as if it's saving some weight. I am a 6.8 shooter, and would like to know more info about the DTI other than what Mike has on his website.

He sure has a following.... and a wait time to match. I'd like one of his uppers some day. Any other loads that you will use with this upper?

I have not weighed this particular one but I have two more AR's with similar configured barrels and they run 9 lbs to 9.5 lbs with scopes... I have also loaded 68gr bullets with the VV530 powder but the load seemed moderate and was pushing 3300fps and I just finished loading some 70gr Nosler BT's just to see what they do.I have also tried TAC powder with the 80gr Sierra extremely accurate but lower velocities.
The Shilen barrel is a 1/12 twist because my plan was to use 65-85gr bullets which seems to be the weight range that this design should shine with.

#5 venatic

venatic

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

Another pig ran into an 80gr Sierra Blitz.
Posted Image

#6 1st cav sgt ret

1st cav sgt ret

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:53 AM

That's "Sweet"....congrat's excelent caliber I've been reading as much as I can find out about it,it should be a great hunting caliber for Texas.

~~~~ Scurry TX ~~~~

Now is Not the Time to send a Message of Weakness,Now is the Time to Send a Message of Strength and Unity

#7 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,271 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

Congrats! That is great looking rig and it apparently shoots OK too!!

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

PosseAvatar100.jpgnra2.gifTSRA-life-120.gifGadsden.gif

Prescription Assistance in USA:  http://www.lsrxcare....ex.cfm?id=71796

#8 Joe

Joe

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

:) SWEET
Posted Image

FOXPRO Field Staff

Mossy Oak Field Staff

Arkyyoter Game Calls: http://www.arkyyoter.net/

Posted Image

#9 GregWilliams

GregWilliams

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:Will hunt or fish anytime, anywhere. Seriously.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

A 6mm 80 grainer at 3200+ with 29 grains of powder is very impressive...

Makes my 26 grains of powder with an 80 in my 6x45 at 2800 look bad...

Personal field testing trumps everything despite what Field and Stream says, your degree of perceived manhood, and what your buddies think.

Arizona Back Country Guide Service
http://www.arizonaba...ideservice.com/

(520) 310-0707

Desert Swarm Bee Removal

desertswarmbees.com

#10 2 Mag Sneed

2 Mag Sneed

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
    Family
    Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

David, I'm resurrecting this thread, because I was curious if you have loaded any of the 55gr pills, or the 70-75 gr pills? I see you've used the new CFE223 powder... do you think 8208 would work well here as well? Maybe H332? Trying to get powder, and would like to be consistent

#11 Ole Blood

Ole Blood

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids (4), firearms, reloading and a bit of photography keep me pretty busy.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Venatic

I have a White Oak Arms 6 WOA and was wondering how it compares to your DTI? The 6 WOA is also a 6.8 necked down to 6mm.

Rick
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

NRA
Patron Life Member

#12 venatic

venatic

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

David, I'm resurrecting this thread, because I was curious if you have loaded any of the 55gr pills, or the 70-75 gr pills? I see you've used the new CFE223 powder... do you think 8208 would work well here as well? Maybe H332? Trying to get powder, and would like to be consistent

I used the 55gr Nosler SHOTS bullets last year some and right now the 70gr Nosler BT's.
I tried a few powders with the 55gr and settled on AA2015 but H335 shot good and was faster actually. Speeds with the 55gr from my 22 inch barrel ran from 3500-3600fps depending on load.
Currently I am shooting the 70gr bullets with IMR3031 and the reason I picked that powder was I had an old can sitting here and decided to try it. I had to use a drop tube to get it in the case but my speeds were very good (3340fps)and it was accurate so I loaded 75 rounds with the powder I had left.
Actually XBR8208 should do well as it's close to H4895 in burn rate and 4895 is a very good choice with the 70-75gr bullets. N530 was my standard for a while as it gives top speeds also and is quite accurate.

"Venatic

I have a White Oak Arms 6 WOA and was wondering how it compares to your DTI? The 6 WOA is also a 6.8 necked down to 6mm."

Rick

The 6WOA is very similar but has a longer neck and handles the heavier bullets better as they don't encroach into the powder capacity as much. The 6mmDTi works better (higher velocity) with the 80gr and lighter bullets thus makes a great varmint/predator gun.

Posted Image

#13 2 Mag Sneed

2 Mag Sneed

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
    Family
    Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thanks David. Appreciate the info. 8208 is abundant down here, and it works so well with the others that I've been working on.... it's a win-win! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users