Nutria on Public Land

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hersh

hersh

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

Hi everyone. Where can we go nutria hunting on public land in Texas?

I used to read and occasionally contribute to this forum years ago when I had no time to hunt. Now finally re-engaging again. I live in Austin and have a couple of sons who want to get into this now too. We have done some great hog hunting down in Kerrville with Terry Hansen but want to try something a little different.

Looking forward to the discussion.

#2 Sniper John

Sniper John

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

The corps areas pretty much do not allow hunting for furbearers. Granger and Sam Houston are probably the only two public areas that would allow it. Both are Public Hunting Land Permit WMA areas and have/or had season dates for furbearers and other restrictions. For example Granger says daylight only. The new map book should be out or online at the TPWD website sometime next month. Check the regulations on those when it comes out.

That said, if I were you, I would drive around closer to home and knock on doors near any private lakes near you. Nutria are a nusuance and cause major damage to trees, levees, and dams. Knocking on doors with your sons along, you should not have a hard time finding permission.

#3 Sniper John

Sniper John

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

BTW, some of Sam Houston National Forest borders on the upper ends of Lake Conroe. I bet there are so many Nutria there you have to beat them off with a stick. <_<

#4 MikeI

MikeI

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,331 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, all the shooting sports. Just about anything that goes bang is of interest!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

hersh,

Here's a possibility: http://www.tpwd.stat.../parks/sea_rim/

Go to the site and find the telephone number for the JD Murphree WMA.
VETUSTIOR HUMO

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, most any other outdoor activity.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Nutria are considered fur bearers and you have to have a trappers license to take them. The exception is, you can take one in the course of hunting, but it can not be sold. Of course you must have a valid Texas hunting license. Now a place I got no idea. If you have a farmer/rancher having trouble with them, you acting as an agent can help him out and shoot the as problem animals, which I have seen over in east Texas, but you can not keep any you shoot. Best bet, look it up on the TPWD website.
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#6 Sniper John

Sniper John

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:06 AM

Bennie,
It used to be that way, but has since changed. He can take all he wants and no trapping license is needed unless they are to be sold. All that is needed is a hunting license.

http://www.tpwd.stat...earing/license/
HUNTING
Required to take fur-bearing animals or their pelts during the recreational season. A person taking fur-bearers with a trapper's license is not required to possess a hunting license.
TRAPPER
Required to take fur-bearing animals or their pelts during the commercial harvest season for the purpose of sale. This license also allows a person to take fur-bearing animals. Resident $18.00 Non-resident $300.00

http://www.tpwd.stat...earing/general/
RECREATIONAL HARVEST
September 1-August 31
Fur-bearing animals taken as a result of recreational harvest may not be sold
No bag or possession limit
COMMERCIAL HARVEST
Nutria: September 1-August 31
Beaver: October 1-May 31
All other furbearers: November 1-March 31
No bag or possession limit

#7 Sniper John

Sniper John

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

Hi everyone. Where can we go nutria hunting on public land in Texas?

I used to read and occasionally contribute to this forum years ago when I had no time to hunt. Now finally re-engaging again. I live in Austin and have a couple of sons who want to get into this now too. We have done some great hog hunting down in Kerrville with Terry Hansen but want to try something a little different.

Looking forward to the discussion.

hersh,
If your still here I ran across this article and remembered this post. Guess they do hunt them. At least in Louisiana.
http://www.johnnfels...nutriahunt.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users