#1 Call Killer

Call Killer

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, good Cigars, and the great Outdoors

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

I am wondering if I made a good choice on my most recent knife purchase. Just ordered a Moore Maker #3101 Working Knife in Drop Point pattern. Looked like a good smaller profiled fixed blade for everyday carry. I may order the Horizontal carry scabbard for it as well, just waiting to see how I like the knife. Hoping it will be a great asset while working or on the fire line. TEXAS made kinda makes me like the idea even better.

Any body here have experience with this or any other Moore Maker blade?

HVFD7014
Size doesn't matter, placement does.

"Put the Wet stuff on the Red stuff!"

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."
George W. Bush

WELLS PUMPS, LLC

In GOD we Trust!

#2 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, church, and grandkids.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

Could you post a picture of the knife? I'm curious to see what one looks like.

OP
All generalizations are false, including this one.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Patrick Henry meant to say: "Give me Liberty or give me Democrats".

#3 Call Killer

Call Killer

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

Here is the link to that kife on Moore Maker's web site.

http://catalog.moore...?item_id=687341

Couldn't seem to get the pics to copy over here, so next best thing I could figure.

HVFD

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
George W. Bush

WELLS PUMPS, LLC

In GOD we Trust!

#4 redrider4life

redrider4life

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, hunting, fishing, guns,& knives

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

here ya go.
Posted Image
The true test of character is not how much we know how to do,
But how we behave when we don't know what to do.

#5 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Interests:Any and every kind of hunting and fishing that can be done in the Great State of Texas and surrounding continent, Trapping, Oilfield, welding, fly-tying, fly fishing.
  • Location:Silsbee, Spurger, and Groesbeck, TX and Eagle Rock, MO!

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

They are very good knives. I think you'll be very pleased.
We Americans got so tired of being thought of as dumb by the rest of the world that we went to the polls and removed all doubt!!

Silsbee, TX... Spurger, TX... Groesbeck, TX... Eagle Rock, MO!

#6 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,971 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

I have two. One is a Model #5303 Three Backspring Whittler that I have had for 11 years.

Posted Image

The other is one of their new lockbacks, the Double Lockback Trapper I got the end of 2009.

Posted Image

They are good knives with good steel that holds an edge.

Bob :P

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

PosseAvatar100.jpgnra2.gifTSRA-life-120.gifGadsden.gif

Prescription Assistance in USA:  http://www.lsrxcare....ex.cfm?id=71796

#7 coyote

coyote

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

The knives are very popular to many in the ranching area for most folks think that they are built in Matador, TX. Have you ever been to Matador, TX? There ain't no factory. I understand that they are made by another company in the northeast USA. This does not keep them from being an excellent, well designed knife that is an great purchase for the money. They make other fencing, farm and ranch tools as well.
In fact, there are a few of the knives lying around my house as we visit.
Adios,
Gary

#8 Call Killer

Call Killer

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

I got the working hunter with the sideways scabbard. Had to do some work on the scabbard, as the knife woulf fall out if you ran or jostled too much. A little work with the holepunch and some thin leather cord, and she'll do well for this old country boy. Like how it rides close and the balance of the blade. Give me a couple of years use to see how it handles fire duty, skinning, and general blade work, and then we'll see if I buy another. Still like my ol' Case XX trapper.

HVFD

George W. Bush

WELLS PUMPS, LLC

In GOD we Trust!

#9 2 Mag Sneed

2 Mag Sneed

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:Jesus
    Family
    Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

I have two. One is a Model #5303 Three Backspring Whittler that I have had for 11 years.

Posted Image

The other is one of their new lockbacks, the Double Lockback Trapper I got the end of 2009.

Posted Image

They are good knives with good steel that holds an edge.

Bob :P

I believe that this second one Bob showed he was using this weekend. Or at least it's part of his carry rotation. Good looking knife, and it definitely took care of some dangling tongues.

#10 Call Killer

Call Killer

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

Yeah, I saw one of those locking trappers forsale at the local flea market a while back. Sure looked handy. Just wish I had enough funds to buy a dozen or so of both Case XX and MooreMaker, but alas I do not!

Started to by a Scherade yesterday at TSC, then noticed the CHINA stamp on it! Guess that would be why it was just $20.

HVFD

George W. Bush

WELLS PUMPS, LLC

In GOD we Trust!

#11 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Interests:Any and every kind of hunting and fishing that can be done in the Great State of Texas and surrounding continent, Trapping, Oilfield, welding, fly-tying, fly fishing.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

The knives are very popular to many in the ranching area for most folks think that they are built in Matador, TX. Have you ever been to Matador, TX? There ain't no factory. I understand that they are made by another company in the northeast USA. This does not keep them from being an excellent, well designed knife that is an great purchase for the money. They make other fencing, farm and ranch tools as well.
In fact, there are a few of the knives lying around my house as we visit.
Adios,
Gary

I wondered about that. I went through Matador last year coming back from Fred's. Dang sure ain't nothin there.
We Americans got so tired of being thought of as dumb by the rest of the world that we went to the polls and removed all doubt!!

#12 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, I saw one of those locking trappers forsale at the local flea market a while back. Sure looked handy. Just wish I had enough funds to buy a dozen or so of both Case XX and MooreMaker, but alas I do not!

Started to by a Scherade yesterday at TSC, then noticed the CHINA stamp on it! Guess that would be why it was just $20.

HVFD

Shrade went over seas and some of the knife makers formed Canal Street. You should check them out.

#13 Moore Maker

Moore Maker

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

Hello All,

My name is Leonard Secrest, I am the internet guy for Moore Maker. Moore Maker was started by Wayland and Glenard Moore back in the early 80's and mainly consisted of dehorners and fencing equipment for several years, around 1989 the Moore's decided to try knives. Queen cutlery has made the bulk of our knives from the beginning and continue to do so, however when we introduced the less expensive "working" knives Camillus made them for us. When Camillus went out of business we started with Bear and Sons in Alabama. Utica and Canal are also making some knives for us and Boker has made 2 also. In my opinion Utica is making some of the highest quality knives out there right now. Moore Maker owns the jiggs and dies and materials for most of our current knives, but all of our knives are contract manufactured, all of the materials with the exception of some stag and rams horn for handles are American made with American materials. The only exception to this was the 2 knives Boker made for us in Solingen.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

On another note, I grew up in the panhandle and have been coyote hunting since I was a little kid, now I live in La Vernia down by San Antonio and still hunt every chance I get. I started calling coyotes at about 10 years old with the old tape Johnny Stewart calls, and bought my first mouth call a few years later. When the FoxPro calls came out and we started carrying them at Moore Maker I took up calling in earnest, I can honestly say I am addicted to coyote hunting, and predator calling in general. I would rather call a coyote in close than shoot a deer. Just this spring I called a coyote in with my Iphone and shot him with my turkey gun. The app in case you were wondering is "Quik Calls".

#14 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

Moore Maker,

It's great to have you! You'll love this site. There's alot of great people (especially in your area) and a friendly atmosphere. You're making me want to get one of those iPhones now. I hear that Verizon is suppose to start carrying them pretty soon.

#15 NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

By the Way, thanks for clearing up the Moore maker knives deal. I just ordered a Schatt & Morgan Wildcat Driller with ATS-34 blades from the File and Wire series. They are also made by Queen. Queen does a pretty good job. I've got quite a few knives from Canal Street also.

http://www.schattand.../f&wseries3.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users