4 replies to this topic

#1 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,202 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

There has been a lot of discussion in multiple forums and threads about obtaining suppressors via an NFA Trust. Using Quicken had been mentioned. I would caution you to read the information below.

Can those of you who have set up NFA's recommend a good NFA Trust attorney and/or discuss how you set your Trust?

Bob :P

May 22, 2009
BATFE seeks to seize NFA firearms from an Invalid Quicken Trust
Joshua Prince alerted me to a blog post on a developing situation he ran across on Subguns where an individual used Quicken to attempt to create a trust for NFA purposes. Unfortunately the BATFE has now decided that his Quicken trust was invalid and is seeking to seize his MAC-11 and Silencer. He could also be subject to a prison sentence of 10 years and $250,000 in fines.

This is a very unfortunate situation that could cost the individual severely. Its important to remember that just because the ATF approves your transfer, it does not mean that you are legally in possession. This is the second situation involving invalid trusts and the ATF that we have seen this month. It looks like the ATF is beginning to look more closely at the trust documents they are receiving.

If you created a trust for NFA purchases in Quicken, Legal Zoom, or used another generic trust that was not reviewed before buy a lawyer before submitting it to the BATFE, you should contact a NFA trust attorney to review your trust for validity.

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

PosseAvatar100.jpgnra2.gifTSRA-life-120.gifGadsden.gif

Prescription Assistance in USA:  http://www.lsrxcare....ex.cfm?id=71796

#2 engine4on

engine4on

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Interests:I hunt in Kaufman, Hemphill and Hamilton Counties and sometimes in Vermont! Bow/Gun Shooting.. Collecting weapons, Reloading, Hunting ( gun & bow ), Welding

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

This is who I used.... I also had a Will and Power of Attorney drawn up at the same time.

http://www.nfa-trust...CFclg2god1yt8Tw
" I thank God for all the freedoms we got in this country, even the right to burn the flag, I'm proud of those rights. But I'll tell you what, we also got the right to bear arms and if you burn my flag I'll shoot you!"
-Johnny Cash

"From a place you do not see comes a sound you will not hear".

Welcome to the
United States of America
Press "1" for English
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English

"I would rather die standing than live on my knees"!

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posted Image

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals
Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11/01

#3 ticktock

ticktock

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

This is who I used.... I also had a Will and Power of Attorney drawn up at the same time.

http://www.nfa-trust...CFclg2god1yt8Tw

Do you mind sharing the lawyer's cost for just the NFA Trust?

Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think criminals have too many guns, makes as much sense as getting castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids...

#4 engine4on

engine4on

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Interests:I hunt in Kaufman, Hemphill and Hamilton Counties and sometimes in Vermont! Bow/Gun Shooting.. Collecting weapons, Reloading, Hunting ( gun & bow ), Welding

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

I got a LEO's discount on the whole package and I am not sure on what the Trust cost was. I think it was like $400.00 but do not quote me on it.

From the start I wanted to use the Trust route over the LEO sign off in order to prevent any possession problems if something was to happen to me. I read some horror stories about Quicken type Trusts like Bobcat posted and wanted my NFA Trust to be done correctly.
" I thank God for all the freedoms we got in this country, even the right to burn the flag, I'm proud of those rights. But I'll tell you what, we also got the right to bear arms and if you burn my flag I'll shoot you!"
-Johnny Cash

"From a place you do not see comes a sound you will not hear".

Welcome to the
United States of America
Press "1" for English
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English

"I would rather die standing than live on my knees"!

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posted Image

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals
Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11/01

#5 ticktock

ticktock

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

From what I have researched, the Quicken or other DIY trusts, have had problems in states that do not permit legal entities from owning firearms, only individuals. I would still recommend the use of an attorney that is knowlegeable about NFA trusts, at the very least to review a trust that you drew up yourself.

It's a real shame that law abiding citizens have to jump through hoops, in order to purchase a suppressor.

Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think criminals have too many guns, makes as much sense as getting castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users