24 replies to this topic

#1 John (4SHOT) Ryan

John (4SHOT) Ryan

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

I've got a Simmons Atec 3.5X24X50 on my AR. As soon as I bring the rifle and weld my cheek, I have full view so the eye relief is great. The problem is that it will not hold zero for any amount of time. I'll go to the range, zero it and then go out with it. When I come home, I clean it up and give it a rest. As soon as I want to bring it out for another trip to predatorville, I have to go zero it again.

I don't mind going to the range, but at this rate this scope is going break me in time, ammo and money just to keep it zero'd. I just checked the zero last night with a laser bore sight and it's so far off I couldn't the broad side of barn at 100 yrds much less a "target of oppertunity" in the field. Well, I could hit the weather vein on top of the barn if I aimed at the center of the barn. What's strange about this is I have the same scope on my .308 and it's held zero for 7 or 8 years. The only difference is it's illumanated.

So the questions are, do I have a lemon of a scope on the AR? Should I take the scope off of the .308 and put it on my AR and get a new one for the .308 or leave as is and get a new one for the AR? If that's the answer, then the larger question is what would be a good mid to top shelf scope for the AR.

4S
Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter-accusations.

#2 Call Killer

Call Killer

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, good Cigars, and the great Outdoors

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

4 Shot,

I recently had a simular problem out of a Simmons scope that I've had for years. I used it on a bolt action .22 mag for a long time, then traded up for a 50mm. Recently put it on my Ruger 10/22, and after 150 rounds the dern thing went fuzzy! Makes me wonder if it might be something to do with semi-auto. Dad and I have run them on bolt guns for many years with great success. 4 0 yards with a .243 on a running Pronghorn up in NMex a few years back, and 125 yards with .22 mag between the eyes on a grey fox last winter ain't to shabby. Both are bolt action though, so makes me wonder.

HVFD7014
Size doesn't matter, placement does.

"Put the Wet stuff on the Red stuff!"

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."
George W. Bush

WELLS PUMPS, LLC

In GOD we Trust!

#3 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, church, and grandkids.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

I'm no expert on anything, but it sounds like you got a lemon, assuming you've done your job mounting the scope right. I had a Simmons Whitetail scope that was good for 15 years, and then it went bad overnight this year. I can't really complain about it, but I can't really trust a Simmons any more after what happened this year, which is another story without a happy ending. My son bought a gun with a Simmons 44Mag mounted on it, and it was worse than bad....the crosshairs danced around the target depending on exactly where you mounted your head on the stock. It took awhile to figure that one out (why we couldn't zero the gun in). They may make acceptable products, but I don't trust them anymore, and I think your chances of getting a bad one are greater with Simmons than other brands. I bought a Nikon to replace mine, and I plan to stick with Nikons until proven differently. My son bought two Pentax Gameseeker scopes, and so far has been pleased with them, one on a 30-06, the other on a 30-30. Unless your scope is a used scope to start with, I'd return it and go with something else. I wouldn't mount it on a BB gun and feel good about it.
All generalizations are false, including this one.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Patrick Henry meant to say: "Give me Liberty or give me Democrats".

#4 John (4SHOT) Ryan

John (4SHOT) Ryan

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

Oh it's used alright, it's the one that came with it. I bought the whole rig used from the #1 gun store here in BCS for $800. I think it was a sweet deal, except for the scope. The AR is a Bushmaster 24" barrell and a aluminum foregrip. All things considered, it was a good buy. Now I'm working on the scope issue.

4S

#5 TheOldPro

TheOldPro

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, church, and grandkids.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

Good luck with whatever you decide on. I know it has to be a little disappointing not having it work right from the git-go. Whatever scope you decide on, I think I'd bench the Simmons, or put it on something you don't want anymore and sell it back to the gunstore. Sounds like they deserve it.
All generalizations are false, including this one.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
Patrick Henry meant to say: "Give me Liberty or give me Democrats".

#6 John (4SHOT) Ryan

John (4SHOT) Ryan

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

I may sell it for $5 for someone's BB gun. I'm looking for more input on this from others, like Greg, Shooter, Bobcat, Ist Sarg and others. Heck I may even entertain some from OB if he's recovered from the weekend.

4S

#7 GregWilliams

GregWilliams

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Interests:Will hunt or fish anytime, anywhere. Seriously.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

You still have that thing buddy? I think the scope may have accounted for some critters in your past that I was witness to.

But you switch it, you have no more missing excuses!!!!! :ph34r:

You know what I'd do...

Ditch the thing, make a tomato stake, and put a Leupold on some sort on that thing...

I'd suggest a 2-7x33 or a 3-9x40 in the best model you can afford at the time.

A VX-II for 299$ is a fantastic value in my opinion....
Personal field testing trumps everything despite what Field and Stream says, your degree of perceived manhood, and what your buddies think.

Arizona Back Country Guide Service
http://www.arizonaba...ideservice.com/

#8 Bobby Tomek

Bobby Tomek

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Interests:ballistics, forensics & CONTENDERS

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

A friend of mine had an Aetec 2.5-10x50 on her 6.5x55 for several years before it went belly-up and would not hold zero.

With all of the changes made at Simmons, I told her to hold off sending it back. Finally, I started hearing positive things about them servicing warranties again, so she sent it back -- and now has a new scope. Last week, she received a Master Series Aetec 4.5-14, IIRC.

That's would I would do if I were you. Get a new one fro Simmons, SELL IT and get a Nikon, Burris or Pentax -- or even a Leupy as Greg mentioned.
Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

#9 ticktock

ticktock

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

I don't think the problem is with your scope. I think it's your Bushmaster. It's obviously flawed, the barrel to receiver is all catty wampus, that doo-hicky that fits there is bum-fuzzled. No scope in the world will make that rifle a shooter. I say keep the Simmons scope, and get a new AR. Your old Bushmaster isn't even any good for parts, the way I see it. Tell you what, since you've been pretty decent to me here on the TPP board, in spite of my T-sip leanings, I'll give you a couple hunert dollars for the Bushmaster, and I will throw in a BSA scope to boot. I'll even name my first born after you. Yep...Champion Valvoline 4-shot Jones. Has a nice ring to it, probably a future nascar star.

It that doesn't float your boat, then keep the defective bushy, but put a Nikon Coyote special in 4.5X14X40 on there. You'll love it. I sure like mine. Eye relief is pretty dang constant through out the power range. If you shop hard, you can find a good price on one.

Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think criminals have too many guns, makes as much sense as getting castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids...

#10 SHOOTER

SHOOTER

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

:wacko: 4S...... It's taken you this long to come up with reason you couldn't hit the fox, hence the name 4SHOT. :wacko:

:) Put a loopy 3.5x10x50IR on it and send me the old scope. :)

Done

STAPROSTAFF_zps0d1868d7.gif                arrow_zps1f1b36c3.gif
0e14a491-01e3-4d4f-a3db-b876ce188a86_zps

http://www.southtexasarms.net

Store....   http://www.store.southtexasarms.net

usflag.gif  17d1bd8c-faed-47be-a9b0-2a0aa461c753_zps  texas.gif

#11 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,185 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

Yep, new scope time.................

Some recommendations:

Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40, BDC Reticle-$239-This is the "old" Nikon Monarch scope. I put one on my AR. Best bang for the buck.
If you want camo-Nikon Coyote Special BDC Predator Redicle-$279
Sightron 3-9X42mm Matte Plex-$239-I have 2.

More money to invest?

Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42-$359
Leupold VX-II 3-9x49-$329
Nikon Monarch-3-12X42(Side Focus)Matte (Nikoplex)-$369
Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40-$499
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 50mm (30MM) Matte (Illuminated Dot)-$499

SHOOTER's favorite-Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 x 50mm (30mm Tube) Matte Metric Illuminated German #4 Dot -$750

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

PosseAvatar100.jpgnra2.gifTSRA-life-120.gifGadsden.gif

Prescription Assistance in USA:  http://www.lsrxcare....ex.cfm?id=71796

#12 John (4SHOT) Ryan

John (4SHOT) Ryan

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Hey TT, send me that "hunert" dollars and I'll send you my Bushmaster. If you intrested, I've also got a bridge, some ocean front property and a great lease in Big Bend that I'll let you have for pennies on the dollar.

4S

#13 John (4SHOT) Ryan

John (4SHOT) Ryan

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

Shooter, it'll be a cold day in L before I send you anything......it's more like I'll bring it with me when I come down there on our way to the lease.

4S

#14 John (4SHOT) Ryan

John (4SHOT) Ryan

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Bobcat, I'm kind of leaning towards the coyote special, but I don't know for sure. I'm going out to Gander Mtn and Academy here in a bit and spend some time with their scopes and see what they have.

4S

#15 1st cav sgt ret

1st cav sgt ret

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

Yep John it's scrap (like the one I have out in the garage holding the window open)

~~~~ Scurry TX ~~~~

Now is Not the Time to send a Message of Weakness,Now is the Time to Send a Message of Strength and Unity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users