• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, most any other outdoor activity.

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

What is the difference between a 6.5 Sporter and a 6.5 Grindel, or is there any difference??
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#2 ticktock

ticktock

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

Someone on the 6.5 Grendel site called Model One sales about it. It is the Grendel. They had the barrels and Bolts for the Grendel for a couple of years, but were having trouble with a licensing agreement with Alexander Arms, so they used another name. There is a lot of interesting history about how the Grendel came about, and the numerous people who were involved in the development. Alexander Arms was the one to trademark the name.

It would be interesting to know how they make their bolts. Some companies take a standard bolt and open it up for the Grendel. Alexander Arms has their bolts made specifically for the Grendel, so it is much stronger than just opening the face. With Alexander Arms you have to have their barrel extension to use their bolts.(I am 90% sure of that anyway).

Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think criminals have too many guns, makes as much sense as getting castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids...

#3 1st cav sgt ret

1st cav sgt ret

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

It's my understanding that it is the same as the Grendel,they just can't call it that due to licensing agreement's just like competition shooting sport's which is useing Lothar Walther barrel's (they are calling their's a 6.5CSS or 6.5x39imp).The only major differance is they'r both useing a 7.62x39 bolt (the AA bolt is 11thousand's deeper recessed than a 7.62x39 bolt)
As I understand it they are useing Shaw barrel's as are J&T sale's

~~~~ Scurry TX ~~~~

Now is Not the Time to send a Message of Weakness,Now is the Time to Send a Message of Strength and Unity

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking, but wasn't for sure. May take the 6.5 plunge before long. The 6MM PPC is a very acurate round, but is just good for stand/table/drive bys, as it is too heavy for an old man to tote.
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#5 ccoker

ccoker

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:33 AM

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking, but wasn't for sure. May take the 6.5 plunge before long. The 6MM PPC is a very acurate round, but is just good for stand/table/drive bys, as it is too heavy for an old man to tote.

if you are considering a 6.5 please consider the 6.8 as well

We are getting 3200fps with an 85g barnes out of a 16" barrel

some good reading at AR15performance.com

#6 2 Mag Sneed

2 Mag Sneed

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • Interests:Jesus
    Family
    Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

Question Sarge:

Where would you rank the J&T 6.5 Grendel Uppers? A guy is selling one, complete with bcg and ch, with vortex flash hider and Midwest industries free float rail for $650...

#7 Ole Blood

Ole Blood

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids (4), firearms, reloading and a bit of photography keep me pretty busy.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hey Bennie

Just bite the "bullet" and get a 6mm WOA. It is a heck of a caliber and a barrel of fun to shoot. Spend some of that moth ball money ya got.

On another subject, how is the house project coming?

Every time I open a bottle of wine I can't help but think of you and Click (Carl). We sure did enjoy our wine tasting extravaganza that evening. If I could have that much fun each time I drank a bit of wine I could become a wino.

Rick
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

NRA
Patron Life Member

#8 1st cav sgt ret

1st cav sgt ret

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

Question Sarge:

Where would you rank the J&T 6.5 Grendel Uppers? A guy is selling one, complete with bcg and ch, with vortex flash hider and Midwest industries free float rail for $650...

That is a very subjective thing (your #1 pick probably wouldn't be the same as mine) but since you asked if I didn't already have a "couple" of them and I wanted one I'd be on it like a "Duck on a Junebug" that's a good price.

IMO there is Saturn (been there from the start,2 plus years wait time's) Shilen (good luck finding one) Saber Ind (if you want a super spendy chromed lined bbl that'l last 3 lifetime's) Lother Walther (avalable thru CompetitionShooting Houston I dont have their webpage) and not nessarily in that order.

If I wasn't already heavily invested in my Grendel's I would seriously look at the 6mmWOA.IMO it's what the 5.56 should have been.

~~~~ Scurry TX ~~~~

Now is Not the Time to send a Message of Weakness,Now is the Time to Send a Message of Strength and Unity

#9 2 Mag Sneed

2 Mag Sneed

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • Interests:Jesus
    Family
    Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

I mostly was looking in terms of Alex Arms, ya know, but I certainly appreciate your candor. I like Sabor, but like you said, it's super spendy. I believe he said it was a Shaw blank, and not chrome-lined, but Moly. That'd be fine I guess... and explains the price point. I think I'm going to go with 6mmWOA for my next bolt... simply because 6mm is probably, as you said, the best bang for you buck, and what the 5.56 should have been

#10 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

Rick,

I have been thinking about a 6MM WOA, but still leaning back to a 6.8. Still undecided, then when you have 11 lowers in the safe it gets hard to decide what to build next.

The house project is going very slow, haven't finished my shop yet, darn fishing and hunting keeps getting in the way, but am making some progress.

I have been looking all over for that one wine I liked, but can't find it anywhere in Texas. Guess I'll try and order it from the Winery.

Hope all is well up in Ar-Kansas, oh that is one word isn't it.
Hico, Texas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users