7 replies to this topic

#1 ChuckW

ChuckW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:05 AM

Boys,

I want to buy a new 22-250 what twist rate would you get.

This gun will be used for coyotes, cats and foxes only.

I think my choices are a 1 and 14 or a 1 and 12.

What bullet would you recommend?

Which rifle would you recommend?

CJW

#2 RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

Boys,

CJW

well given a choice I go a lil faster than I need, you can't overstabilize a bullet, but an understabilized one is useless. go with the fastest twist you can find, if it were me, I'd rather buy a tikka 223 varmint (it has an 8 twist) have the bolt face opened up to 22-250 size and use a 22-250 clip mag (yes a fast twist is worth the expense) rechamber to 22-250 and shoot the 75 gr a-max.
RR

#3 Mulerider

Mulerider

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:usually the small stuff (under 25gr of powder); .17, .20, and .22

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

Getting the manufacturers to move from the standard 1:14 twist on the 22-250 has been slow....Savage now offers a 1:9 twist, which will work across the bullet weight range of 40-75gr. The thin jacketed bullets will be the only ones not suitable for a fast twist 22-250.
A 60gr Vmax ought to be superb in a 1:9 22-250!

There may be others offering the faster twist, but most will be 1:14.

Greg

Boys,

CJW

#4 scruffy

scruffy

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:hunting, antique tractors, hobby farming, motorcycles, etc.

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

Personally I have no complaints about my Savage model 11F (f=synthectic) in 22-250. It's 1-12" twist. I'm shooing 55 gr sierra gameking boattail hollow points (bthp). Many like the gameking SBT (softpoint boattail), but the BTHP is more accurate in my rifle at long range and haven't noticed that much difference in pelt damage.

I'm not loading my own currently, I'm shooting Federal premiums loading of them.

The model 11 weighs in around 6.5lbs out of the box, has a 22" barrel, free floated, stock is pilar bedded, and I really like the accutrigger. I put a bushnel elite 3200 3-9x40 on top and put a harris LM prone bipod underneath and using shooting sticks or a monopod when calling from the seated position. It works awesome, accurate, not heavy, with the bipod isn't too light up front for offhand shots, have the bipod for prone stands, etc. It's a slick little rig. I think I paid $399 for the rifle and the scope runs $199.

edit: my profile pic shows the rifle with a nice female coyote.

later,
scruffy

#5 Ksmirk

Ksmirk

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

One thing to think about if you push the light bullets fast from a fast twist barrel is they will not make it to the target! I was poofing (new word) the Sierra 55gr. Varminter bullets in my 1-8 twist 223 so you can overspin a bullet to the point of it coming apart. if your going to get a Savage down the road you can always get a new tube and spin it on if you want to shoot some of the 75gr. pills and up, my gunsmith is building him a 22-6mm AI to shoot the 80gr. SMK bullets high B.C. bullet at 3800fps but be carefull you don't get a bullet going too fast that you spin the jacket off cause you can do it with a 223 so the 22-250 would do it with not even trying very hard. A 1-12 would be ok for about 90% of the bullets for the 250, when you get above 60gr. you would more than likely have to spin them a bit faster though. Later,

Kirk

#6 RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:53 AM

One thing to think about if you push the light bullets fast from a fast twist barrel is they will not make it to the target! I was poofing (new word) the Sierra 55gr. Varminter bullets in my 1-8 twist 223 so you can overspin a bullet to the point of it coming apart. if your going to get a Savage down the road you can always get a new tube and spin it on if you want to shoot some of the 75gr. pills and up, my gunsmith is building him a 22-6mm AI to shoot the 80gr. SMK bullets high B.C. bullet at 3800fps but be carefull you don't get a bullet going too fast that you spin the jacket off cause you can do it with a 223 so the 22-250 would do it with not even trying very hard. A 1-12 would be ok for about 90% of the bullets for the 250, when you get above 60gr. you would more than likely have to spin them a bit faster though. Later,

Kirk

the 4-6 groove barrels should do fine with all but the thinnest of jackets, the 3 grooves are pretty rough on bullets, never heard of an 8 twist ripping jackets off a 55 gr bullet at 223 velocities except the hornady sxsp's, they are pretty tender.
RR

#7 GregWilliams

GregWilliams

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:Will hunt or fish anytime, anywhere. Seriously.

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

I've had wonderful accuracy in my .223 twisted 1:7 as far down as 50's with no issues whatsoever. These 50's were moving at around 3100. One day just to see I'm going to try some 40's...

Personal field testing trumps everything despite what Field and Stream says, your degree of perceived manhood, and what your buddies think.

Arizona Back Country Guide Service
http://www.arizonaba...ideservice.com/

(520) 310-0707

Desert Swarm Bee Removal

desertswarmbees.com

#8 Ksmirk

Ksmirk

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

RidgeRunner, 24" Wilson 1-8 twist 4 groove the Sierra Blitz and the Hornady SXPS would not make it! now this is when I was getting a bit higher on the powder charge <_< these were the only 2 bullets I had any trouble with. Overstabilize I doubt it but too many RPM for a bullet yep that's what I'm going with. Later,

Kirk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users