13 replies to this topic

#1 Chief

Chief

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

Well my daughter is starting to show a intrest in hunting and shooting with me... :) :) :)
So now since Christmas is coming up I am thinking about getting her a little .410 shotgun. Not sure on who makes a good lightweight small single shot. pettiet for a 9 yr old so the weight is definatly a factor.
anyboy have any good sugestions..... I saw one the was a snake charmer that looks about the right size

#2 SHOOTER

SHOOTER

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

I bought a Remington 870 at Sportsman's Warehouse a year or so ago. 200.00, I think is what I paid for it. Lightweight and definitely a good gun.

STAPROSTAFF_zps0d1868d7.gif                arrow_zps1f1b36c3.gif
0e14a491-01e3-4d4f-a3db-b876ce188a86_zps

http://www.southtexasarms.net

Store....   http://www.store.southtexasarms.net

usflag.gif  17d1bd8c-faed-47be-a9b0-2a0aa461c753_zps  texas.gif

#3 312InchMagnum

312InchMagnum

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, sports, shootin', anything outdoors...

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

chief, what about one of those rossi combos that academy sells...its a .410/22lr combo with interchangeable barrels...i think it sells for like $120...not sure of the quality, but its worth a look maybe? good luck...let us know what you choose
The marsh, to him who enters in a receptive mood, holds, besides mosquitoes and stagnation, melody, the mystery of unknown waters, and the sweetness of Nature undisturbed by man. ~ Charles William Beebe

#4 Chief

Chief

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

That was what i was thinking about.....never heard anythign about the Rossi combos thou.......any good or bad reviews???
either that or one of the NEF (New England Firearms) single shots

#5 zoomie

zoomie

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

I had a NEF single shot 12 ga for my first "big boy" gun. Besides absolutely kicking the fire out of me, it was a good solid gun. I won't buy the same for my kid, but it served me well enough. I think it's a fine platform for a 410 and maybe even a 20, but not for a 12, IMHO.

I know you said single shot, but I think the 870 would be a great choice, if she can handle the marginally (if at all) heavier gun.

http://www.remington..._bore_specs.asp

#6 Chief

Chief

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

Well i like the 870, just because they are great guns and know that it will hold up and last forever. The problem with those is that the length, Her arms are not long enought to reach the pump when holding. I have seen the tactical folding stocks for the defense 870's
One of those should fit the 410 model also right?

#7 jdickey

jdickey

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, photography, Bigfoot, and grand kids

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:59 AM

That was what i was thinking about.....never heard anythign about the Rossi combos thou.......any good or bad reviews???
either that or one of the NEF (New England Firearms) single shots

Chief....

The Rossi combo's are great guns for kids to start with, plus you can add barrels at a later time! They come with a carrying case and are a great buy @ $119.00!

Also Remington makes a single shot .410 that is Russian made. Has a much longer barrel than the Rossi and cost about $99.00.

And, we sell the Yildiz which is an Academy Exclusive, and is made in Turkey, for about $129.00.
The only easy day was yesterday - U.S.N. SEALS
W's Backyard... Waco, TX
TSRA, NWTF, TexLa Research Group, BASS, BOONE & CROCKETT, TWA
Posted Imageretired

#8 OzarkCharlie

OzarkCharlie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Chief,
Take a look at the line of Mossberg Youth pumps. They make both 20 and 410 gauge. They just handle better for a child than the Rem 870 because they have the pump handle set back toward the receiver to help the youngster better reach it. The Model 500 Super Bantam Field has a synthetic stock and it comes with spacers to lengthen the stock as your little hunter grows. I have had good luck with Mossbergs. They do not have the cult following the 870's do, but they are good solid guns.
And as has already been stated, either the Rossi or the NEF make good, small 410 single shots.
Good Luck.
OC
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.--John Adams

#9 jdickey

jdickey

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, photography, Bigfoot, and grand kids

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:01 AM

On the Mossberg 500 Bantam... they also provide a $50.00 coupon for you to upgrade the gun to an "adult" size!
The only easy day was yesterday - U.S.N. SEALS
W's Backyard... Waco, TX
TSRA, NWTF, TexLa Research Group, BASS, BOONE & CROCKETT, TWA
Posted Imageretired

#10 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, 4x4, ATV's, Snowboarding, Surfing, Camping, Classic Cars, Hot Rods, Guns, Travel.

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:07 AM

My son is 8 years old. I bought him a 28g Remington 870 for about $100. Nice little youth gun shoots alot better then the .410. I would check out Walmart sometimes they have good deals. ^_^

#11 cloverleaf

cloverleaf

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

Since you asked for opinions...I helped a young fella scope and sight in his Rossi rifle last fall. Had a heck of a time getting that thing to shoot consistiently. Barrel to forend tension was the culprit I think. Any way that dont matter to you. If I were going to buy a shotgun it would not be a Rossi as the safety is too far forward on left side of reciever for small fingers IMHO. Also as a firearms safety instructor, I am not terribly fond of the hammer needing to be cocked. Just a chance that a thumb might slip and that hammer come forward before she's ready. Dont know cant say that Ive shot one enough to be sure. Rossi puts one size stock on all there frames from what I can see. They always seemed a little big and bulky to me. Mossberg makes a nice bantam pump 410. I shoot from a wheelchair and have trouble w/ my balance so I need to keep my arms in closer to myselp than most pumps will allow. I retro fitted my mosberg 12 with bantam parts for just that reason. the full bantam model is even better as the dimensions of the stock are shorter between the grip and the reciever. That would be my pick. You could look for an old bolt action 410. Mosberg made them too. some of them were kind big long and clunky. I learned on a Mongomery Wards bolt action which was not. Dont know who made that one. There are a few double barrels out there to. CZ makes one I think. Rossi is much liked by lots of folks and I wont bad mouth 'em. just some things to consider. You can hardly go wrong with a decent used 870 or 1300 although they are probably tougher to find. Fit is the most important thing after safety, even a 410 will smart if the stock fits wrong or the reach is too long. Just my .02 CL
"Pray hard and shoot straight"

#12 cloverleaf

cloverleaf

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Hey-
Ran across a mosberg 500 bantam in 410 last night at Gander MT. Was looking at it with another guy who said he would by a 20 just because he didnt think there would ever be non-toxic shot available in a 410. Never thought of that. CL
"Pray hard and shoot straight"

#13 Billy Farmer

Billy Farmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

I bought a mossberg 500e for my bride when she showed a little intrest in dove hunting, and after about 3 trips to the field the little intrest turned to no intrest. So I picked up the gun and used it, after about the second case of shells It started to haveing problems, jamming, and dropping shells out of the magazine.
Anyway I ran across a Traditions by Fausti field hunter .410 over/under at Wal-Marrt for 300.00, I love this little gun it is my go to gun for dove n quail. I is a little over 6lbs 26 inch barrel with fixed mod/full. I have shot about 6-7 cases of shells through it and she is still as tight a the day I got her.

#14 Billy Farmer

Billy Farmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

I bought a mossberg 500e for my bride when she showed a little intrest in dove hunting, and after about 3 trips to the field the little intrest turned to no intrest. So I picked up the gun and used it, after about the second case of shells It started to haveing problems, jamming, and dropping shells out of the magazine.
Anyway I ran across a Traditions by Fausti field hunter .410 over/under at Wal-Marrt for 300.00, I love this little gun it is my go to gun for dove n quail. I is a little over 6lbs 26 inch barrel with fixed mod/full. I have shot about 6-7 cases of shells through it and she is still as tight a the day I got her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users