• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 David Lingle

David Lingle

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Coyote,bobcat Calling. Calf roping and Steer tripping. Good horses and fine shooting pistols and rifles.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:42 AM

My wife has decided to get her CHL. She learned years ago to shoot my Colt Combat Commander. I am wanting to get her one that she will carry and not leave at the house.
I like my Colt 45 but my always with me gun is a Colt Model M Pocket Pistol in 380.

David

#2 engine4on

engine4on

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Interests:I hunt in Kaufman, Hemphill and Hamilton Counties and sometimes in Vermont! Bow/Gun Shooting.. Collecting weapons, Reloading, Hunting ( gun & bow ), Welding

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:12 AM

I think the most important thing is the KISS ( keep it simple stupid) concept when choosing a firearm for self-defence and packing on your person, and I am not just talking about women.

I used to carry a Colt Gold Cup "cocked and locked" on duty and found that when put into a high stress situations (live fire training - Thank God ) having to remove the slide safety when drawing the weapon put a extra step in the thinking process that I did not need to or have time to think about. I replaced it with a Glock 10MM and do not think about a slide safety anymore.

I would avoid any weapon that have the following designs or steps that envolve extra thinking in order to fire the weapon. Any weapon that has to be cocked in order to be fired, any weapon that requires the magazine to be in the weapon to be fired and any weapon that requires a safety to be removed to be fired.

The next thing after buying the weapon is to practice alot and throw some drills into the practice like clearing jams, stove piping, failure to fire ect, rapid reloading and shooting while moving either away or toward the threat.

I had to make a weapon choice for my mother-in-law a couple of months ago. I had her purchase a small framed stainless steel 5-shot .38 so all she has to do is pull the trigger in order to put lead downrange, no de-cockers, slide safeties, hammer cocking, stove-piping, ect. It is small and she likes the way it fits her hand.

I hope I have not made anyone mad with my statements. There are people out there who have no problems with the firearms they carry and know how to shoot them!

Just my $.02

Timbo :lol:
" I thank God for all the freedoms we got in this country, even the right to burn the flag, I'm proud of those rights. But I'll tell you what, we also got the right to bear arms and if you burn my flag I'll shoot you!"
-Johnny Cash

"From a place you do not see comes a sound you will not hear".

Welcome to the
United States of America
Press "1" for English
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English

"I would rather die standing than live on my knees"!

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posted Image

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals
Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11/01

#3 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

Hey David,

I agree with Tim. A lot depends on her size and strength. A lot depends on whether she will pactice with it at the range at least once a month.........most people don't.

If she is small framed and won't shoot a lot, the S&W Model 642 is a good choice as per Tim. You can load it with +P Gold Dot ammo and get her a good carry purse. Do not let her carry any handgun in a regular purse.

Posted Image

A better choice would be a smaller framed double action only pistol in 9mm or 40 S&W(still not to much recoil). The Sig Sauer P239 is an excellent choice. You can get factory refurbished Sig's that are very affordable. I have a contact in San Antonio I can put you in contact with who has access to these (or for any gun you need).

Posted Image

If you come to San Antonio, I can hook y'all up with a CHL Instructor that is also a dealer. He has a lot of handguns she can try at the range to see what she is comfortable with.

We should all carry the biggest handgun we can shoot well. Sometimes, all I can carry is a little .380 in my pocktet with Cor-Bon ammo. I would rather have my Kahr K40 Elite with me all of the time.

Posted Image

I hope this helps more than it confuses......... :D

Bob :P

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

PosseAvatar100.jpgnra2.gifTSRA-life-120.gifGadsden.gif

Prescription Assistance in USA:  http://www.lsrxcare....ex.cfm?id=71796

#4 Alleninalaska

Alleninalaska

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

KelTec P3AT in 380 ACP.
Allen Glore
P.O. Box 465
Lodge Grass MT 59050

(406)670-1449

#5 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

Allen..........that is the .380 pocket rocket I use........shoots well........reliable.

Posted Image

#6 nobody45

nobody45

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

So that my x would not have to go into her house at night scared i bought her a S&W 637 j frame to use ,it is much smaller than her S&w model 66 .357 and told her it wont do any good if it is at the house put away when she gets there,she has to have it with her to do any good.She has never been comfortable with an auto
Bud

#7 GonHuntin

GonHuntin

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

David

Great suggestions from everyone......pay very close attention to what Engine4on wrote......he gives the same advice I give when any of my students ask which gun to buy (I'm an Okla. CHL instructor)......she wants something that goes bang everytime she pulls the trigger without thinking about the safety or anything else......

One other piece of advice I'd give........MAKE HER put at least 200 rounds through the pistol before she carries it........especially if it's an auto loader.......like most other machinery, a good handgun benefits from a beak-in period allowing everything to "wear in" properly........

I can't tell you how many women have brought a new pistol they have never fired to the class.......that is an EXTREMELY bad idea......most are nervous about the class anyway......add the stress of handling a new, unfamilar firearm along with the little "gremlins" that often plague a pistol that isn't broken in and you are asking for trouble........it's really a wonder some of them don't shoot themselves or someone else!

Small revolvers are fine (stay away from the cheap ones), I also really like KAHR and Glock autoloaders......I don't have much experience with SIGs, but they have a great reputation..........

The pistol with the highest failure rate in all my classes?????

The good old "1911" design auto.......Colt, Springfield, Kimber etc........

I could probably count the Glock failures on one hand.......believe it or not, MOST ( and there have been a bunch) of the 1911 design pistols that have come through my classes have had at least one malfunction during qualification........failure to feed, failure to eject, stovepipe jams, double feeds......you name it.......(but, they are good for teaching malfunction drills!) :D I have nothing against the 1911, I have owned one for over 20 years and one that is properly tuned is a beautiful machine, but, I would NEVER depend on an out of the box 1911 for self defense......most people won't have these guns tuned up to be reliable......they buy one and expect it to work 100%.....that is a dangerous assumption for any self defense firearm.......many of them won't have them tuned up even when the KNOW they aren't reliable!!! :rolleyes:

Good luck and let us know what she gets!

Believe what politicians DO............NOT what they SAY!!!!

#8 David Lingle

David Lingle

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Coyote,bobcat Calling. Calf roping and Steer tripping. Good horses and fine shooting pistols and rifles.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hey, Thanks.
I agree with you all. It does depend practice,pratice,etc. And it has to go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Bobcat,Allen when my son graduated from DPS academy I bought him a Keltec 32ACP (because they didnot have a 380). It goes bang everytime and what small animals he has shot he has hit and stopped
These little guns are what I call always with you gun. Carrying a big heavy gun for 8 hours or more wears me out.
David

#9 zoomie

zoomie

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

I think a DA revolver is the simplest, more fool-proof CCW out there.
.357 2.25" SP101
Posted Image
She can carry .38 or .38+P and it's plenty comfortable, and you have the option (or she does) to carry .357 for a little more power.

I bought the non-bobbed version and shot that for a year or so, and now I'm getting a drop-in bobbed hammer for carry. I actually have the 3 1/16" version. I love it, but it's hard to find holsters. There are many more options with the 2.25" barrel.

If you like autos, I'd second the P239. I shot one for the first time last week - very impressed. Plenty accurate and controllable. More pleasant to shoot than the Beretta 92FS, even though the Beretta is much larger and heavier.

Either way, you've got double action on the first shot at least and no safety to disengage in the draw. Draw, pull the trigger, and it goes bang.

I think 5 shots of .38 or .357 is sufficient, but you might be more comfortable with the higher capacity auto or S&W.

#10 Tarleton Ranger

Tarleton Ranger

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Huntin everything that's legal TO hunt! Also love to hit up fishing holes!

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

Interesting post. I carry a 5" 1911 nearly every day when I'm not on campus. It works fine for the majority of the year, but it is difficult to conceal when it starts gettin hot out. I have been thinkin about pickin up a smaller pistol for summer carry when all I might have on is a pair of cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

I thought of goin with a j-frame .357 for a while, but have been lookin at small autos recently. One that keeps popping up is the Bersa Thunder in .380. Pros to me are it's small enough to fit inside a cargo pocket and it actually has a little heft to it as well as being affordable. Con....it's in .380!! Bob, I'd be interested to know of the contact you have down in San Antonio. My lease is just West of there near Boerne and it wouldn't be much of a detour for me to stop in if worth the while!

Jake

"I am a stone. I do not move. I take my time. I let him come closer. I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear."

#11 Bobcat

Bobcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,185 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

PM sent..............

#12 txvarminter

txvarminter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

Sig P239 in 40 S&W I have owned one for several years and that little gun goes everywhere with me :) . It shoots great and I don't remember ever having a problem with it feeding , gaming or anything else. I own several other Sigs and they all work great, I can only remeber one time having trouble with any of them. It was my P226 that a buddy of mine wanted to shoot, he bought some CHEAP ammo and came out to my range at the ranch. Out of 100 rounds I think it jammed twice, I put good ammo back in it and it works like a champ everytime. You sure get what you pay for.

I shot a yote with it last year at about 60 yrds :) He was running across a wheat field and I rolled him on the second shot. I about fainted when he fell, lots of luck involved but hey I'd rather be lucky than good anyday of the week :biggrin:
Kill'em all and let God Sort'em out

www.maddogdesignstx.com

#13 Bennie

Bennie

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,384 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, most any other outdoor activity.

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

As usual good information from all. My .02 is I bought Billie (BAB) a Kel Tec 9MM for her a purse gun, it is light easily concealed and surprizingly accurate for a short barreled pistol. She shoots it some and is plenty profiecient with it. But then again here at work we shoot 9MM Glocks a whole bunch, so she is use to the recoil and the hand fit isn't that much different. Don't get more gun than she can handle is the bottom line, if it jumps and kicks too much it will discourage her shooting it, make it fun for her.
Hico, Texas
Member of Ducks Unlimited, NRA, Delta Waterfowl and VHA and proud former member of the 101st Abn Div.

#14 Tarleton Ranger

Tarleton Ranger

Bwana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Huntin everything that's legal TO hunt! Also love to hit up fishing holes!

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

I just went ahead and picked up a little Bersa Thunder and I'm thinkin of gettin my girlfriend started on it. I bet it would be a great carry choice for a woman. Really easy to shoot and pretty dang accurrate! I just hate that it's in .380 but I guess it's better to have SOMETHING than nothin on days when I can't hide the 1911.

Jake

"I am a stone. I do not move. I take my time. I let him come closer. I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear."

#15 Kiowa Scout

Kiowa Scout

Professional Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Hunting of all kinds

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

My wife has decided to get her CHL. She learned years ago to shoot my Colt Combat Commander. I am wanting to get her one that she will carry and not leave at the house.
I like my Colt 45 but my always with me gun is a Colt Model M Pocket Pistol in 380.

David

David,

Be sure that when she takes the class that she uses a semiauto. Even if she is going to carry a revlover make her get certified with the semiauto. If she is ever stopped and has a semiauto in the vehicle, but was certified with a revolver, she will get fined and get her CHL revoked. If you get certified on a semiauto you can carry either one.

On to the topic of what handgun to get, I just recently bought a Glock 27( subcompact .40 S&W). My wife is now keeping that with her. She likes the size of it and is used to shooting my G22 (full size Glock .40 S&W). What I like about the subcompact glocks or Springfield XDs is that the magazines for all other models of the same caliber will fit in the weapon.

For example, if my wife and I are together and God Forbid she needs more than the 2 ten round mags she has for the G27 , I can give her one of my G22 mags and now she has 15 more rounds to send toward the BGs.

They are now making an accessory that fits on the mags of the G22 and G23 mags that makes the grip of the G27 the same length as the magazine.

I know, I know to much info at once. Sorry, I sometimes get carried away when I give out knowledge :rolleyes: LOL.

Well I have given way more than .02 cents so I'll quit now. LOL.

Take care and God Bless. Good Luck or your decision.

KS
Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. gen. 27:3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users